Thursday, April 14, 2011

All My Children bites the dust

by Maria Geraci

The rumors have been rampant. Yesterday it was confirmed. The long running iconic soap opera that brought us the invincible Erica Kane has finally been cancelled. Beginning September, All My Children will be no more.

I know it's silly to get all choked up over a soap opera, but I can't help myself. It's like the demise of a beloved older Aunt--the one who used to sneak candy to you when your parents forbade it. AMC was a lovable guilty pleasure and I feel no shame in admitting that I used to watch the show religiously.

I remember putting my kids down for their naps after lunch and flopping out on the couch, exhausted, yet ready to get my Pine Valley fix on. As the mother of three, it was the highlight of my day. Yikes. What does that say about me? I guess I was just like millions of women everywhere. I wanted to escape my life of diaper changing for an hour of lust, mystery, and a few laughs, because yes, AMC had just as much humor as it did melodrama. If you don't believe me, ask any faithful viewer about the Janet-from-another-planet story line. Only in a soap opera can you get away with an evil twin pushing her good twin down a well so that said evil twin can impersonate the good twin to take her man away. The fact that said evil twin fooled everyone in town except the faithful dog, Harold (who was smarter than Rin Tin Tin and Lassie put together) was sheer brilliance on the writers part. Honestly, I loved that story line. It made me laugh, it made me cry, it kept me coming back for more.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that I haven't watched AMC in years. But I took a certain comfort in knowing that the show was always there if I needed it. Every once in a while whenever I was in a nostalgic mood, I'd sit down at 1pm, turn on the TV and flip the channel to ABC. Sometimes I'd watch for up to ten minutes without recognizing a soul, but then one of my "people" would show up (like Erica or Adam or Angie or Tad or the ever delicious Jack) and I'd find myself sucked back into the story. Knowing it won't be an option anymore makes me sad. Thank you to all the AMC actors, writers, producers, and everyone involved in the show. You made my day a little brighter. Favorite story lines?

  1. Natalie being pushed down the well and her evil twin (Janet from another planet) taking her place

  2. Harold the dog being drugged by Janet, then finding his way across the country to get home to Pine Valley and stop Trevor and crazy Janet's wedding

  3. Erica finding out Bianca (her daughter) was gay (a first for daytime tv and done with great sensitivity)

  4. Greg and Jenny's romance, then having Jenny killed on the exploding jet ski

  5. Tad's birth mom, Opal (best character ever!)

I could go on, but you get my drift. Pine Valley, I'll miss you!

----- Maria Geraci writes fun, romantic women's fiction. Just this week, she sold her fourth novel, The Ugly Girlfriend to Berkley. Her latest release The Boyfriend of the Month Club is available now. Visit her website or connect with her on facebook and twitter.

24 comments:

  1. My dad is devastated about this news. lol. He is a big soap opra fan and All My Children, One Life To Live & General Hospital are his favorites. I told him what your post says and he said "What!? What do you mean its cancled?" lol. I'm sorry you two are loosing one of your shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only caught an episode on rare occasions, but there's nothing like soap operas to reel you in... I'm sorry it's ending, Maria, but I'm THRILLED about your latest sale!!!!!!! Congrats again and again ;). xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica, they are cancelling both All My Children and One Life to Life and replacing them with talk shows. Here is a link:
    http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/one-life-live-and-all-my-children-cancelled-04-14-2011

    Thanks on the congratulations, Marilyn! I'm pretty thrilled myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are cancelling both! Now that's too much. I haven't watched either in years too, but remember the great story lines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new book sounds amazing! I haven't watched AMC since Jenny and Greg but I used to love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new sale! Love the title!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blah & Rats!!!!!! I just penned a blog for next week on the same topic!! LOL Who knew we'd been leading parallel lives, apparently tuned to the same era of AMC! Great post, Maria. Congrats again on your book sale!! I am thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love AMC, OLTL, and GH (and Ryan's Hope which came on before them, but was canceled eons ago). Watched them as often as I could through college until I couldn't. But I do feel like they were a part of my growing up. I loved Opal, too! And Joey on OLTL, who is now "Castle." It is truly the end of an era to see these long-running soaps shutting down. Sigh.

    P.S. Hooray on THE UGLY GIRLFRIEND! I can't wait to read it!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Maria! I remember Jenny and Greg's storyline. Too bad they killed her off! Harold the dog--LOL. Congrats on your new sale! Love the title--The Ugly Girlfriend! Thrilled for you! You HAVE to tell us about that title!!! (BTW-loved --Boyfriend of the Month Club).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tanashia, yep, both soaps are a goner. I have a feeling the medium is just not what people want to see. I guess we want more talk shows:(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karin, The Jenny-Greg love story was one of my favorites:) Hooray for young love!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura, I think this means great minds think alike:) Thanks for the well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, I watched all those too! I really loved Ryan's Hope. Was so bummed when they cancelled it:( I suppose that GH's days are numbered, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Marian, First off, thanks for tweeting about this post!
    And thank you for your congratulations and your kind words about Boyfriend of the Month Club. I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. When my sister and I were little, my mom watched her "shows" while she did her house work. We would pepper her with questions - who's that mommy? why's she crying, mommy? who's the bad guy on this show mommy?

    One day she sat us down and said "Here's a brand new show that can be YOUR show and you will know who all the bad guys are."

    Once we started school, we watched faithfully during summer vacations. And then came the VCR. We would each record it and watch a whole week after school or work and call each other to talk about it. It was "our" show.

    Neither of us have watched for years, but I have been reminded of our story and our show when I recognize an AMC alum on another TV show.

    So yes, I share your sadness - I can feel colorful threads -- like the boondoggle bracelets we made in summer camp -- unraveling deep inside me.

    And yes, too, I'm with so with you on the Greg/Jenny story being best!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy, I started watching AMC all the way back when Phil went away to fight in the Vietnnam War! Yes, I admit, I was a baby at the time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I watched AMC growing up as well, and would probably still be watching it now that I have children, except my MIL got me into DAYS OF OUR LIVES instead. I don't think it's so much that they're waning n popularity -- more that it's way cheaper to produce a style show than a soap opera. I have a feeling that they'll be coming for DOOL one of these days, too. Sucks for me, b/c I love having that one hour of the day where I eat lunch and just concentrate on someone else's outrageous story.

    Congrats on UGLY GIRLFRIEND. I will be reading it based on the title alone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ernessa, I think you're right about the cost having something to do with the cancellation.

    Thanks on the congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I dont know if you and your readers are aware but the shows will continue online http://www.parade.com/celebrity/hollywood-wire/2011/07/07/cancelled-soaps-to-continue-online.html
    we fought until they relented and leased them to an online production company called Prospect Park.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My coder is trying to convince me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the costs.
    But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using
    WordPress on numerous websites for about a year and am concerned
    about switching to another platform. I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.

    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into it?

    Any help would be really appreciated!

    Look at my homepage - ミュウミュウ 店舗

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am sad I have been working day shift for so long I have not watch Day time soaps in years... Today I went home early and was ready to catch up with all my favorite soaps and discovered No More All My Children!!!!!!!!!!!!!wow. I am so sad..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well post and this article tell us how to manage to your children behavior and study thanks for share it voicemail voice over .

    ReplyDelete