Monday, January 2, 2012

Only in Key West by Lucy Burdette


Happy new year to all the Girlfriends and to our valued and adored readers too!  We'd be nothing without you!

I'm lucky enough to be starting off 2012 with a new book: AN APPETITE FOR MURDER, the first in the Key West food critic mystery series.

So many people have asked me "why Key West?" that I thought it would be fun to have a pop quiz about the island. This should give you a good idea about why this island is the perfect setting for a quirky mystery! I will list the answers at the bottom, but no cheating--don't look until you've answered! And then tell us how many you got right--all comments will be entered into a random drawing for a copy of APPETITE. Good luck!

1.  The local residents on Key West are called:

a. Islanders b. Parrotheads  c. Corals  D.  Conchs

2. What's the name of the major east-west thoroughfare, known for its shops and bars?

a.  Duval St.

b.  Whitehead St.

c.  Simonton St.

d.  Hemingway Blvd.

3. How many miles from Cuba is Key West?

a.  500

b.  30

c.  90

d.  200

4. Name a famous current or former writer who calls/called Key West home:

a. Ernest Hemingway

b. Judy Blume

c. Meg Cabot

d.  Annie Dillard

e. Tennessee Williams

f.  all of the above

5.  What's the biggest holiday celebration on the island?

a.  New Year's Eve when a red high heeled shoe drops from the top of Bourbon Street Pub and a conch shell slides down the top of Sloppy Joe's bar

b. Fantasyfest, a nine-day adult Halloween celebration culminating in coronation of a king and queen at the Royal Coronation Ball

c. The Conch Republic Independence Celebration commemorating the city's attempt to secede from the United Staes on April 23, 1982  in response to US Border Patrol roadblocks

d. the nightly Sunset Celebration at Mallory Square

6. A dog up for adoption at the pound in Key West might be assessed for:

a. his reaction to iguanas

b.  his relationship to roosters

c. a fondness for polydactyl cats

d. willingness to wear a costume in the Fantasy Fest parade

e.  all of the above

7.  If you were going to poison someone in a murder mystery set in Key West, you might use this as a vehicle:

a.  conch chowder

b.  key lime pie

c.  margarita

d. conch fritters


You can buy the book at any bookstore or here: http://lucyburdette.com/buy-the-books/  And please follow Lucy on Twitter or join her on Facebook. And she blogs weekly with the fabulous crime fiction writers at Jungle Red Writers.

Answers:  1. d--Conchs!  2.  a--Duval Street of course!  3. c--90 miles to Cuba!  4. f--all of the above--the island is crawling with artists and writers! 5. trick question--how could you possibly choose? 6.  e--only in Key West! 7. I could tell you, but it would spoil the story in AN APPETITE FOR MURDER!

"What fun! Lucy Burdette writes evocatively about Key West and food -- a winning combination. I can't wait for the next entry in this charming series." Diane Mott Davidson

28 comments:

  1. I must need new glasses. I read answer 7 d as "couch fritters."

    A lighter version of couch potatoes maybe?

    congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got numbers 1,2,3,4 and 6. And figure number 7 is Key Lime Pie. Could not remember what number 5 was. Have to admit I learned a lot of this from the Travel Channel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the quiz! Brought back memories of Key West. I think "An Appetite for Murder" will be the next best thing to a walk down Duval Street. Can't wait to read it!
    - Louisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun quiz! I did get a few right. Would love to win the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got six of the seven as I thought #5 would be Fantasyfest, it is such a big thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got them all. Would choose Conch fritters for
    poison. Excited this is series!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun!!!!! I haven't been to Key West in years! This brought back great memories! I got 1,2,3,5,6, and figured 7 was Key Lime Pie. I can't wait to read this book and would love to win a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to read the book! xoxo from a Couch Fritter

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got them all right....big surprise, since I've been here for the past eight winters. Looking forward to a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited to read this new series! Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Got all 6....LOve Key West can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really sounds like the next book I should be reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the quiz! I've lived in Florida almost all my life but have never made it to the Keys. Will have to rectify that one day soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun way to kick off the New Year here at the GBC! Good luck with the launch, Lucy! Sounds fantastic! Must go holler about it elsewhere....

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL ok I officially got 2 right and the 2 trick questions I sorta got right!! I do have a polydactyl cat if that counts for anything!!! I really can't wait to read this book sounds like a great one!!
    shannonjean14(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my polydactyl is the orange and white on in the pic! Her name is Penelope!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fun contest. Too bad I failed most. Guess I'll have to win so I can read up on Key West!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the book. It is cold in NYC today. I want to go to here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You all are such good sports! The winner will be posted here in the comments after 8 pm tonight...

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun quiz!! I had 2 correct. Can you believe I've lived in FL for over 20 years and never been all the way down to Key West? I know it's a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love this! But I agree with Ariella-- this quiz made us New Yorkers feel even colder than we were before!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Got them all! Key West rules. We would have moved there after we got married had the schools been better for our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I got 5 right! And decided I need to visit Key West again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a great book. Will be in Key West in February. Love the place.
    Patg

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks to every one of you for taking the quiz! I let the dog (Tonka) and the cat (Yoda, regular # toes, thank you very much) each choose a winner. Yoda picked IandSsmom. Tonka picked tjo. Please send me your snail mail addresses off line to raisleib at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great quiz - now I know I need to read your book so I can be more knowledgeable about Key West (I failed the quiz miserably!).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Only two right! I was in Key West a billion years ago and caught a blowfish. Very memorable part of my childhood!

    jodi@jodiwebb.com

    http://jodiwebb.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. As a former 16 year resident, I got them all right. Really miss the place. Looking forward to re-visiting as I read the book. Key West and murder mystery! What a combo.

    ReplyDelete