Tuesday, February 5, 2013

What I "No" About Marketing


by Christa Allan

Here’s what I wish I would have known about marketing my novels: If you wait until the first one is released, you’re too late. In fact, if you wait until six months before it’s released, you’re dangerously close to too late.

In my delight, disbelief, deliriousness of my agent calling to announce that my first novel had been sold, I didn’t think to ask about marketing. To give myself somewhat of a break, I didn’t know what I didn’t know. That is—marketing is to a novel what parenting is to a baby. It’s just not enough to give birth; you have to commit to pre-natal and post-natal care and post-post natal and post-post-post…You get the analogy.

Girlfriends’ posts about marketing prior to mine have provided a wealth of information. If you haven’t read them, I encourage you to scroll through the previous days’ posts. 

My fourth book is about to be released, and I’m still discovering all that I’ve done or not done, right and wrong. Perhaps my experiences can help.

1.     No Whining: I think this was mentioned in Judith Arnold’s post, but there’s no glory or progress made in whining because we, as authors, are expected by publishing houses to assume greater responsibility for marketing our own books. Perhaps Stephen King, John Grisham, Nora Roberts and etc. get a bye on this one…when I/you are there, we’ll know.

2.     No Spending Money You Don’t Have: Set a budget, maybe some or all of your advance, or other money just hanging out waiting to be spent. Promoting dollars disappear as quickly as peanut M&Ms do when I’m on deadline.  Bookmarks, postcards, flyers, brochures and other print materials can be pricey. But, this also isn’t the place to go for the lowest bidder either. Tacky, amateur graphics can be worse than none at all.  Find out what your publisher will and won’t supply. And there’s the cost of maintaining a website, attending a conference, hiring a publicist, print ads, blog ads, blog promotions, and the beat goes on. And it’s overwhelming. Talk to your agent, in-house publicist, and/or writer friends for ideas for spreading your wealth.

3.    No Social Network Pimping or Stalking: Marketing means making your presence known. But here’s the deal. . .don’t use Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, LinkedIn or other social media as advertising for your novel. Especially if the first time you’ve been on the sites is the week your book released.  It’s like trying to be friends with a lottery winner the day s/he cashed in the ticket.  You wouldn’t nudge your friends about buying your book every time you see them, and social media is just that…a time to be social. Build relationships.

4.    No Guts, No Glory: Reach out to local bookstores, libraries, schools and offer workshops. Find “real world” connections to your fiction and join their organizations, read their websites, perhaps offer a few free copies. I mailed copies of my first novel, Walking on Broken Glass, which dealt with alcoholism and recovery to local and even out-of-state treatment centers, especially those for women. Prior to even finishing my second novel, The Edge of Grace, about a Christian woman whose brother announces he’s gay, I joined the online Gay Christian Network. My publisher sent copies to the local Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays. They not only endorsed my book, they invited me to speak to their group. My upcoming novel, Threads of Hope, has characters meeting because of the AIDS Memorial quilt. I included a section at the end of the book with instructions on how to make a panel to send to the NAMES Project. So, even though it's fiction, a novel can still cross-over to find ties that can help in marketing. 

5.    No Gorging: Sometimes we venture so far into the marketing cave, we forget there’s a laptop waiting for us at the entrance. Marketing, for me, is often more time-consuming, more exhausting, and more discombobulating than writing. If I’m not careful, I can spend too much time talking about my writing than writing. Set aside an hour a day or whatever works for you without gobbling up your writing time. I’m retired now (entering week three and oh, how glorious it is!), but when I taught, I used Saturday or Sunday to plunge in to the muck of marketing.

I hope some of these ideas are helpful. (If they aren’t, just don’t tell me). Remember, though, above all….you are a writer. And if there's no writing, there's no need to market!

Christa Allan is the author of  the soon-to-be released Threads of Hope. Her other novels are Walking on Broken GlassThe Edge of Grace, and Love Finds You in New Orleans. You can find her at www.christaallan.comFacebook, and Twitter. When she's not marketing and/or frantically meeting deadlines, she's weeding her garden in hopes of generating ideas. Christa, a very recently retired teacher, and her husband live in New Orleans in a house older than their combined ages. Their three neurotic cats are adjusting.





16 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying the theme/design of your website.

    Do you ever run into any internet browser compatibility problems?

    A handful of my blog audience have complained about my
    blog not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in
    Opera. Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?
    my site :: stop smoking tip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous...I appreciate your cruising by, but I know little-if anything-about internet browser compatibility problems or solutions. Perhaps a tech blogger might be able to answer that for you. Also, you might want to check your link because it doesn't land on a page with tips to stop smoking.

      Delete
  2. Great advice. I especially like #3. There seems to be a theory out there that simply being on Facebook & Twitter will land you books sales - not true. It is also a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. Do followers come to you after you are already popular or follow you simply because you have written a book. Whenever I post something to Twitter or Facebook and it is NEVER , "Buy my book." I think to myself, who will care about this post? If the only answer to that question is "me", I do not post it. Discover what your audience cares about and share THAT! Once you are a popular author, you can then count on traffic to your site to see what you are up to, when your next book is coming, or even an excerpt of your upcoming book as Diana Gabaldon (Outlander) shares on her Facebook fan page. Until then, share what is interesting and provocative. One great idea, I think, is for you to recommend OTHER books. Writers are generally big readers and readers love to hear about the latest and greatest books out there. Trust me, your readers will reward you for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for sharing your ideas about how to best utilize social media. I like the question you ask about who will care about the post other than you. Great guideline to go by.

      Delete
  3. Excellent reminders, Christa! I always have to steel myself when I go on Twitter because sometimes it feels like walking down carny lane at the county fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost spit out my coffee reading your comment! How funny. And true.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this, Christa! I love the "no" theme. Perhaps I should do a "do" theme on Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for these tips! I'm in need of as many ideas as I can get.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome post, thanks, Christa. More good advice I really need, especially about social media which I have only just started using with mixed feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how to tell if a girl likes you 
    Everything is very, very clear, open is a description of the problem. It contains the information. how to tell if a girl likes you 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Did you know that that you can generate cash by locking selected areas of your blog / website?
    Simply open an account with AdscendMedia and embed their Content Locking tool.

    ReplyDelete