And I can't wait. Just me and my laptop in a hotel room, writing, for a whole week. Without the usual interruptions:
- No house to clean. Maybe I should repeat that. NO HOUSE TO CLEAN;
- No pets who want outside, followed immediately with wanting inside, then outside again. I really should install a remote controlled sliding glass door;
- No 'emergency' trips to the grocery store because the 14 yr. old is out of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop Tarts, or to take the 16 yr. old to the movies/girlfriends' house/mall because she'll 'die' if she has to spend one more minute in this house (this usually means her uncanny sixth sense has alerted her to possible, impending yard work);
- No house to clean.
- No one interrupting me to ask 'what's for dinner,' or 'when is dinner' or 'can we have McDonalds?' - usually followed by 'will you drive to McDonalds?'
- Lots and lots of quiet writing time with nothing to interrupt it but breakfast, snacks, lunch, snacks and dinner (usually followed by snacks);
- Lots of the snacks I like - not the stuff I only eat because my kids won't (don't ask me how many times I've had to eat what they insisted they needed, only to develop a sudden hatred for that thing once halfway through the bag);
- When I need a break from writing, no one to interrupt me reading or knitting or just staring into space with, 'oh good, you're done! can you drive me to.../cook for me.../find my.../let the dogs in and out and in again?'
- Someone comes in and cleans the room for me every day. EVERY DAY.
Does it get lonely spending 24/7 by myself?
No. Not ever. Sorry family. I need this. If I don't get this, I might kill all of you.
And the best thing this year? My daughter has her learner's permit (we're 3 weeks away from getting the full driver's license - much to my horror and weirdly, relief) so I don't have to drive the whole 8 hours, each way.
Of course, I have to produce. I have to justify this trip financially by having a supernatural amount of pages done when I get back. But that's probably the best part.
Well, right behind the maid service and snacks, that is.