Wednesday, September 15, 2010

This and a Cup of Coffee...


"This and a cup of coffee" is what my grandmother used to say when delighting in a good meal, or sweets, and needing nothing else in the world. The saying was adopted by my parents and their group of friends, and now I've found myself uttering it. It's how I feel about the Girlfriends Book Club. Every morning I tune in to another author musing and think to myself, "this and a cup of coffee...." as in, "what more do I need to start a perfect day?"

My name is Melissa Clark and I am the author of "Swimming Upstream, Slowly," a book about a woman who becomes pregnant although she hasn't had sex in over two years. She's diagnosed as harboring a 'lazy sperm' and must revisit her past loves to figure out who the father is. My second novel, "Imperfect" is on submission and looking for a home, and I just completed my third novel, "Bear in Mind" about the aftermath of a kidnapping in a small town - a far cry tonally from the first novel.

While the summer was spent writing "Bear in Mind", I also indulged in many happy hours of reading. Some favorites included "Year of Fog" by Michelle Richmond and "The Mercy Papers" by Robin Romm. I'm excited to dig in to Franzen's "Freedom,"  Vendela Vida's "The Lovers," and "Welcome to the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan next. 

Meanwhile, I'm teaching a weekend workshop in October called "Quiet Please: Silencing the Inner Critic" at the magical Esalen Institute in Big Sur. If you are interested in finding out more information please click here. There are a few spots available and if you've never been to Esalen this is a good excuse to go.  I guarantee that you'll sit in the natural hot springs overlooking the Pacific ocean and think, "this and a cup of coffee!"



Melissa Clark is the author of "Swimming Upstream, Slowly," the creator of "Braceface," an animated television series which aired on ABC Family, and an instructor of Literature and Creative Writing at Otis College of Art and Design in Los Angeles. You can follow her on her blog, Connections Clark.

14 comments:

  1. Melissa, I just finished A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD and it was unbelievable!!! You are going to love it. It is challenging and thoughtful and just completely amazing. The book will totally inspire you.

    That and a cup of coffee!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    Good luck on submission. Always a nerve-wracking time. I love your book recs. I'll check them out. Very jealous about Big Sur. Have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle used to be in the GCC a while back. I, too, really liked Year of Fog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have to check out A VISIT FROM THE GOON SQUAD.

    Good luck with submission--I'm right there with you!! (Wish I could attend the workshop in October...sounds fabulous.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa--this should be our new motto: GBC and a cup of coffee!

    I do love love the concept of the lazy sperm..and much luck on the new book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would be very interested to know your thoughts on Freedom since I am reading it myself right now.

    And yes! Nothing like a really good cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melissa, I enjoyed your post and I'm looking forward to reading your book (just added it to my list)!

    Loved the line: "this and a cup of coffee!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to go to the workshop - so wish I could! The "lazy sperm" premise is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Earth Cafe has 'crack' coffee! The very best in LA. Hmmm I think there is a writers date involving crack coffee in our near future!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got back into town and enjoyed reading everyone's comments! Viva the Girlfriends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ps - sorry if I prematurely posted! I post-dated it knowing I'd be out of town, but didn't take into consideration East Coast time!! mc

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa, I read Swimming Upstream when it first came out and I LOVED it. I couldn't believe how easy it was to BELIEVE the story! Good luck with Bear in Mind! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. another ps - of course I meant A VISIT FROM THE GOOD SQUAD, not WELCOME... I think I got it confused with Welcome to the Dollhouse, one of my fav. movies...

    ReplyDelete