Monday, November 1, 2010

The DNA of Writers


Virginia Woolf. Edgar Allan Poe. Jennifer Weiner. Stephen King. All related. My fellow writers in the right sidebar of this page: familial.

Writers share some common traits worth mentioning on this the first day of November, the beginning of the worldwide NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month makes a month-long parade out of writing, complete with best-selling author cheerleaders, an online gathering spot, and incentive to reach word count. But who are these people drawn to such a formidable task?

What's in the DNA of a writer? What drove Virginia, Edgar, Jennifer, Stephen, you and I to sit down and write by pen or keypad each and every day? Certainly my list is subjective, though studying my own "kind" and reading books like King’s fabulous On Writing and Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott have contributed to my assessment. 

Obsession/Passion/Desire. A film agent in a workshop once told us that every writer he'd represented was a little OCD. They had to write. It was obsessive. It was compulsive. They would rather write than do anything else. They would decline dinner invitations and big events for time alone with their story.

Wonderment. A writer is a thinker. He gives himself permission to let the imagination go, like releasing a thousand butterflies in a tornado. We don't know where they will end up, but we will chase them just to find out. JK Rowling has said Harry Potter, and writing, saved her.

Transfiguration. It means a change in state to a more beautiful form. We do this via our characters, immersing ourselves completely into this alternate, make-believe world. The writer must transform her mind to that of the character's, to step into a wholly different life, to feel the wide range of emotions the character feels while dragging them through hell and high water (conflict!) to reach the conclusion. The journey is exhausting. They represent us a little or a lot. We sit back amazed at where our characters have taken us, as if they were the ones stringing us along and not the other way around.

Autonomy & Nonconformity. A writer must possess “freedom from external control or influence.” Writing gives us liberty to say what needs to be said, often going against the cultural norms or highlighting taboos. Great writers have their books banned all the time because they are saying something someone thought should not be expressed. Mark Twain ring a bell? While a writer may seem like your “average Joe” in the real world, they probably hold nonconformist thoughts that get to run buck-naked down the street in the middle of the day.

Not all writers had terrible childhoods or traumas, but many creative people have struggled in some way. Writing is both a balm and a fresh burn. The writing life is tough, full of self-doubt, rejection and disappointments. However, because of the unique DNA that requires that we write, we can't help ourselves no matter how many "smart" people tell us it's a waste of time, money and effort.

I believe in Purpose. A dentist can make a good living fixing people's teeth, but if he is called to write, he will put away the drill at the end of his workday, find a corner, open a vein and spill on the page.

Good luck to all of you participating in NaNoWriMo. As for me, I'm in the revision process of a young adult book, so I'll have to pass, though there is nothing like that first draft stage to get my adrenalin pumping.

Our head Girlfriend asked us to give advice to ourselves as a beginning writer. My note to self: From beginning to end, don't stress about it. Yes, continue studying craft and reading voraciously and revising, but let go of the stress and worry that it isn't good enough, or the nail-biting weeks or months on submission, or the pit-in-your-stomach feeling once your baby is out in the world being judged by reviewers or readers. Stay in the moment, and get back to your real calling, which is writing.

I'm looking forward to speaking at the Ozarks Writer's League Conference in Branson on November 20th. It's always a thrill to meet fellow writers and book lovers.





20 comments:

  1. An amazing post to kick off NaNoWriMo. You've nailed our species extremely well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post Malena. You packed in so many thought provoking ideas and in Jon Stewart fashion, tried to restore sanity to the process of writing. Yes we obsess but what a blessing to be so passionate about something. Keep going on your YA novel. I'm sure it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish there were a "Like" button for Saralee's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Thank you so much for writing this, it was exactly the inspiration I needed to pick up my pen this morning and write. I have a manuscript due that does not want to come out for a YA novel. I'm signing up for nanowrimo for the first time hoping the solidarity and forced deadline will get me through. But seriously, your post has already ignited the fire. Thank you so much! And good luck on those revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comments this morning. Pleased you all enjoyed the post.

    LT, go you! Happy I played a small part in inspiring you. Nanowrimo is a great daily motivator, and November is probably my favorite month to write with it getting chilly in Oklahoma. Good luck to you!

    Also wanted to let you all know that masked teen werewolf is my son from this weekend. Weres were all the rage among the middle school males.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malena, you totally inspired me on the first day of NaNoWriMo!! Now, you'll excuse me while I get back to writing....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malena, what a fabulous post! You hit the nail on the head. We are a wonderfully obsessive, creative, and independent lot, aren't we? I feel like I'm in my own little NaNoWriMo world, although I've got just two weeks to finish my manuscript (eeek, deadline looming!). Thanks for reminding me what great company I'm in doing what I love to do! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhh. My pack. Obsessive compulsive introverts with multiple personalities...errr...I mean writers. Malena, I really enjoyed this post and it is all so true!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is why a lot of writers let others cook the turkey for Thanksgiving. :) We've only the time and patience to eat it, not cook and plan it.

    Susan, good luck on your looming deadline. Brenda and Maggie, xo, thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You nailed it, Malena. I like the part about opening a vein and spilling on the page. Sometimes I feel like a vampire, sucking the life out of those around me to fill my pages. (I think I've had enough Halloween for this year)...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Malena, what a fantastic post! Thank you... I especially loved this line: "Writing is both a balm and a fresh burn." It is, isn't it? I think about the paradoxical nature of the writing life almost every day...thanks for expressing this so well ;).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cindy, for me lately life has been the vampire! ha. Hoping November is a bit slower than October was around here before the holidays hit.

    Marilyn, thank you. Yes, paradoxical nature is exactly right. I wonder why I feel so at odds with myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Malena! I'm cheering for all you NaNo folk -- it's not the right time for me, but I've had great success with NaNo in the past. Just get it on the page!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally relate. Waiting to hear on a proposal so I've not been writing for all of 1.5 days and don't know what to do with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melena, great post! I see myself in all of your points.

    And what you said about cooking the turkey is SO TRUE. My husband and mother-in-law are in charge of that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your topic to good every parents wants these type of things for kids thanks for share it personal diversity statement .

    ReplyDelete