Tuesday, November 30, 2010

LAUREN BARATZ-LOGSTED: THE CAREER THAT SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED


This is going to be long, even though I’m only giving you the Cliff Notes version, so grab some popcorn and wine.

Sixteen years ago I walked out on my 11-year job as an independent bookseller. The position came with a good salary and full medical benefits plus four weeks of paid vacation a year. It was a lot to walk away from but I’d always wanted to write a novel and I’d come to realize that that was never going to happen if I kept working a job that took 55 hours a week door-to-door out of my life. It was finally time to take a chance on myself and my dream.

Book 1, Waiting for Dead Men’s Shoes, was a typical first novel, a wish-fulfillment comedic mystery about an independent bookseller who believes the bookstore would be a better place if only she were in charge. She gets her wish, and a chance to play amateur detective, when the owner is murdered. For a while I had an agent, Agent 1, but she was nuts. She said the book would be better if the murder – originally taking place around page 40 – happened earlier. So I moved it up, and kept moving it up at her urging, until finally the dead body was on page 1. Agent 1 said it was great, now if only I’d…and she proceeded to describe the book exactly as it had been before I made any changes. We parted company.

I did try to submit it on my own to publishers, and I got glowing rejections. One publishing director called to say she was laughing on every page and would be taking it to sales conference that weekend. I was sure I was in; you know, like Flynn. Two weeks later, she called and in an entirely different tone of voice, said she couldn’t buy it. Eventually, someone else in publishing explained that since one of the villains was the CEO for a made-up chain bookstore, and that I’d portrayed that pretend CEO as no better than a Mafia lapdog, no publisher would ever touch it for fear of upsetting the real-life chains. I set the book aside.

Book 2, Falling for Prince Charles, was an alternate-universe romantic comedy wherein an underachieving Jewish cleaning lady from Danbury meets and falls in love with Prince Charles. Having grown tired of agent searches, and having learned that I had a knack for phoning editors directly and getting them to agree to read, I submitted it myself. In August of 1997, arguably the most popular woman of the previous century, Princess Di, died. In September, a vice president of one of the biggest publishing companies in the country called me on the phone. In pre-Internet days, wisdom used to dictate “no comes in a letter, yes comes in a phone call.” But she wasn’t calling to say yes. She was calling because she wanted to tell me personally how much she loved my crazy book but that she couldn’t buy it and nobody would be able to.

Having written one book that was offensive to chain bookstore CEOs and another that was offensive to certain lovers of the Royal Family, I decided to go for broke on Book 3 and offend everyone, or at least everyone in publishing. Book 3, The Reviewer, was a dark comedy about a frustrated reviewer/would-be novelist who kidnaps an editor, an agent, and a reviewer with a higher profile, and holds them hostage in increasingly larger basements. No one wanted anything to do with that book.

Book 4, Plain Sight, was a bizarre mystery ala Agatha Christie’s Ten Little Indians but with a twist: told from 10 viewpoints, no two of the main characters are ever seen in the same place – meaning there’s nothing to tie them together – until the very end.

Book 5, If You Should Die Before I Wake, represented a departure. It was a serious book about an undereducated septuagenarian who learns that her editor daughter will predecease her. For Book 5, I managed to secure Agent 2, who proved to be just as nuts as Agent 1, only in a different way. Agent 2 called one day to ask if I’d mind if she sold the book as a movie first because she’d received a fax from Viacom/Paramount saying they were looking for Terms of Endearment types of properties and she’d always thought of the book that way. I knew all about John Grisham and The Firm, and told her I did not mind at all. A few months went by and I finally got up the nerve to ask how things were going with the movie people. That’s when she explained that her partner handled all the Hollywood deals but he had to be in the mood to submit something, and he just hadn’t been in the mood lately. The book had never been sent, even though a film company was looking for something just like it. We parted ways.

And then came Book 6, The Thin Pink Line, a dark comedy about a British sociopath who fakes an entire pregnancy. I probably would have tried harder to submit it, but I kept getting glowing letters that would end in rejections, saying bizarre things like, “Americans don’t like to laugh.” Chick Lit hadn’t hit yet, certainly not as big as it would. So I wrote a seventh book, Vertigo, a suspense novel set in Victorian England about a woman who ultimately decides that the only way to get what she wants is for her husband to die.

Vertigo got me Agent 3 and I was working on revisions when, in late fall of 2001, I began seeing reviews for books from a publisher I’d never heard of: Red Dress Ink. I was sure that the editorial sensibility behind this new line would be a match for my fake-pregnancy book and asked Agent 3 if he’d read it with a view toward submitting it. He read it and said he liked it very much but that he couldn’t see it selling; there were too many books like it already. I asked if he’d send it to just this one publisher and he said no, that he knew for a fact they weren’t interested in any books with London settings. So I submitted it myself.

In May of 2002, nearly eight years and seven books after leaving my day job, Red Dress Ink called and offered me a two-book deal. The book was published in 2003 as the line’s first-ever hardcover and was the first book published by any Harlequin imprint ever to receive a starred review from Kirkus. It was published in 10 countries and optioned for a film, never made. Needless to say, somewhere in there, Agent 3 and I parted company. I negotiated the contract myself, having read 700 pages of publishing law while waiting for it to arrive.

Before The Thin Pink Line was even out, the publisher offered me an additional three-book contract. While I felt confident that I could negotiate a contract pretty good on my own – I’d argued, and won, 17 points on the original contract – I knew it should be for more money than was being offered, but how much, I had no idea.

I had no problem securing Agent 4, and Agent 4 did get me substantially more money than was being offered. But Agent 4 didn’t do much else during the next year, and made one huge error, so we parted company.

Then there was Agent 5, who was supposed to sell Vertigo, but never submitted it. And so, in late spring 2005, running the risk of becoming the Elizabeth Taylor of publishing, I moved on to Agent 6.

I have no complaints about Agent 6. To date, Agent 6 has sold 18 books for me and by the end of next year my grand total of published books will be 23. In addition to Red Dress Ink, my books have been published by Random House, Simon & Schuster, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Bloomsbury, and BenBella. I’ve written for adults, teens, tweens and even young readers (The Sisters 8). Defying the publishing wisdom to brand oneself and avoid “selling meat in your fish store,” I’ve sold just about everything in my store. Both comedy and drama for adults and, in terms of YA alone, I’m all over the place: an earnest novel about teen pregnancy (Angel’s Choice); a seriocomic sort-of mystery about an online predator (Secrets of My Suburban Life); a re-visioning of a classic fairy tale (Crazy Beautiful); a Victorian suspense novel (The Twin’s Daughter); and next, in August 2011, a time-travel story involving a contemporary teen and the classic novel Little Women (Little Women & Me). This is not a way to have a career that makes sense to most people’s definition of a writing career these days and yet it makes perfect sense to me. From the first time I ever called an editor on the phone, Larry Ashmead at HarperCollins, to ask if he’d read my book, I’ve never been about walking the tried-and-true path.

Oh, and during those eight years of unsold books, how did I keep the mortgage paid? I talked Publishers Weekly into giving me a job as a reviewer, eventually reviewing 292 books; talked a publisher into giving me a job as a freelance editor, editing nearly 100 books; the local library created a position for me where I led book discussions and writing groups, and arranged events; and I washed a lot of windows for my husband’s window-washing business. I used to get up and begin writing between 2:30 and 4:30 in the morning, before my one-job-two-jobs-three-jobs-four began and before the fear set in.

Do I wish I’d sold my very first book? No. Because my path would have been different and I would not have learned half so much along the way.

Just because I’ve been lucky enough to have so many books published, does that mean I have it easy? No. Every day, there is some pain or rejection or frustration or worry. But if I am writing, there is always joy too. Because that’s been the thing, the unifying theme of my writing life from the very beginning: I have written, not to be published – although once a book is finished, I want that for the book, very much so – but because I love to write.

Sometimes, interviewers ask me to pick one word to describe my greatest strength as a writer, and that is an easy question to answer: resilience.

Resilience got me through seven books in eight unpublished years and it has seen me through every day since.

When asked to give out writing advice, I always say the same thing: the only person who can ever really take you out of the game is you. That is true of me and it is true of any writer reading this. People can reject you, they can reject you until the cows come home, but no one can stop you from writing if that is what you want to do.

Phew! And, as I say, that’s the Cliff Notes version!

OK, here’s today’s giveaway: One person will get a signed hardcover copy of The Twin’s Daughter and another person will get a signed hardcover copy of Crazy Beautiful (which is due out in paperback on January 3, by the way!). You do need to comment to enter. I will select the winners at random and notify them by email.

Be well. Don’t forget to write. 

44 comments:

  1. I followed your twitter link to this and I'm glad I did. It reminds me of all the frustrations that are out there mixed with those joyous moments. I guess it is all about perseverance and ass in the chair. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{{{Ariella!}}}}} It's been so long and it's so good to see you! The last time I "saw" your boy he was wearing what you called his Jay-Z sui - he's probably in college by now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good lord Lauren, you have about 6 times the nerve I do! But I totally agree with the word you chose: resilience is key. Along with being willing to ask for feedback and learn from your mistakes.

    Thanks for telling your story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a long road to getting published! Can't believe you worked those 4 jobs while writing. And I'm intrigued by the sound of Plain Sight...sounds like a really intricate mystery.

    I'd love to win a copy of The Twin's Daughter (if the giveaway is open to Canada)!

    chocoholic410(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I followed your post on Facebook to this blog, and glad i did! Thanks for posting your experience...all that work and years of trouble and rejection must have made that first book deal all the more special! Of course, I'm exhausted just READING about your writing plus jobs one through four...

    caldellizzi(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story of perseverance. SO inspiring!

    jpetroroy at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wow, wow. The early books sound fantastic, too. I love the Prince Charles premise. Congrats on all your successes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren, thank you for reminding aspiring (and published!) writers everywhere that this journey is rarely quick, smooth, easy or in any way resembling a straight line. And I do agree that resilience is a major strength...but so is courage, and you clearly have a lot of that, too! Congrats ;).

    ReplyDelete
  9. For you to remain with an once of joy after all of this....sheesh! I have always found you funny charming and willing to answer anything asked of you....good on you....you have been through the gauntlet and have come out the other side a fantastic and prolific writer. Crazy beautiful is placed solidly on my top ten list of wonderful reads. Thanks for every word. ♥
    veltara(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is an incredible story. Congrats on your well-deserved success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your story is absolutely, out of this universe amazing. You get the Golden Globe award and so much more. Congratulations to you for your hard work, persistence, belief, and focus. What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE your story, Lauren. You are a superstar to me and I love that you are such a maverick and resist branding.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I didn't know half of this, Lauren. Amazing journey. And I love "Americans don't like to laugh." (Not that that's funny :)

    I can't stop looking at The Twin's Daughter cover--so striking.

    Congrats on everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your story is an inspiration and thank you for sharing it (again).

    And also a big thank you for being such a resilient and generous woman!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing the story of your journey. I really needed to hear this: "the only person who can ever really take you out of the game is you." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! What a story of resilience-- and chutzpah!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree--the only person who can take you out is yourself. What a story!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As Roberta said: nerve! And yes, no question, you have resilience in spades. But above all, it's obvious that you have great intellect and creativity fueling your writing talent. What a fabulous story, Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a crazy journey! I just added "The Thin Pink Line" to my wish list- it sounds like a really fun book. I would love the opportunity to win the books that you are giving away too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read this before sitting down to work on my novel-in-progress today. It's my 3rd book (first two are on a shelf for now) and I'm only about two-thirds through the (fairly revised) first draft. I know there's a long journey ahead even after it's finished, so I'll try to remember your story when I need encouragement to persevere!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was exactly what I needed to read this morning, as I am about to enter the agent querying stage with (yet another) book. Glad you made it in publishing despite all the obstacles; I love your books.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lauren, you are my hero for all things to do with writing. Your publishing journey is astonishing and inspirational, but what you have not mentioned (modestly) is how much you give of yourself to advise and encourage other writers.

    Please don't include me in the giveaway. I'm already the proud owner of both Crazy Beautiful and The Twin's Daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lauren, Your story is a boon just as I consider throwing in the towel. I've finished my third novel and haven't had many agents ask to see this manuscript (I've only sent to a dozen). This book is actually better than the previous ones that got lots of requests. Sigh! Anyway, you inspire me and I love your books. I loved seeing your comments when we were both on the yahoo Chicklit loop.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Is it okay to admit your journey towards publishing is making mine look like a cake walk? ??? :)

    Loved your story!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just started following your blog and I loved to read this one about your journey to get published! Hope to enter the contest, really want to read(and review) your books!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Phew... is right! Hearing how hard it is to walk away from having an agent, you're one strong lady!

    producereklund at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay, being on the cusp of finishing my first novel, I don't know whether to get on my knees and thank you for sharing this...or slap you REALLY hard! So what you're telling me is these feelings of angst, exhilaration, despair and ecstasy will always be here? Thanks...I just don't know quite how I mean that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for your story about writing and the road to getting published. Resilience is a trait that can help carry you through the rough spots. Am excited about reading your new book. Good luck as you continue to persevere and entertain your readers. Karen J

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're my hero. I'm spending my time trying to get a freelance editing company off the ground while working my day job of writing web content (bleh). Got a family to support and little time for any other writing. Wish we could sit and talk a little. Would you like to be interviewed for my website?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Simply fabulously inspiring! I'd read the even shorter version before but can't read your story often enough. So glad I got to read even more of your story. I loved the Thin Pink Line and Vertigo (reading it for the second time). I must check out Twin's Daughter - unless I win a copy first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'd definitely love to take a look at either of these books!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, what an inspiring story! I love reading author's publication stories.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thank you so much, everyone, for reading and commenting - so great to see so many old and new writing friends here!

    For those who think I have courage and nerve, I've also had my share of blind luck!

    For those who say their writing journey was easier, more power to you!

    For those still struggling, persevere!

    And on to our winners:

    Christi gets a signed copy of Crazy Beautiful.

    Meagan A. gets a signed copy of The Twin's Daughter.

    Thanks for playing, everyone! And don't forget to return to the Girlfriends Book Club often - we're giving out books most weekdays through the beginning of January...and sometimes we're even fun when we're not giving anything away!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yay for you, Lauren! That was awesome, definitely the best and most interesting Cliff's Notes version of anything that I've ever read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Usually, I try to think of something witty to say when commenting on blogs. But all I want to say is thank you. I'm home in front of my computer, having a hunch that my first agent won't have any luck selling my third novel and that I may have to start again from zero. I've been writing books since I knew how to write the alphabet, but because of recent disappointments, have considered stopping. But I can't. And it's articles like this that reassure me there's every reason to continue.

    Thank you.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lauren, everytime I've come over today to read this post, I got pulled away from my computer. I'm so happy it's the last thing I'm reading tonight before I go to bed. You are one awesome lady! Thanks for the inspiration;)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow! That is such a cool experience. I am towards the end of my first MBA class and it happens to be the Legal/Ethical Business Environment - our facilitator is an EPA lawyer - I have to admit that it is a career path I don't think I could handle - more power to you! But it is great to learn about a person's process and path to "authorship"!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, if that's the Cliff notes, I'm thinking the long version is, well, scary. 6 agents and 7 novels in 8 years? Do you take 9 pills to calm your nerves and keep you sane?

    Congratulations on your fortitude and your courage to believe in yourself. I've got to share this one.

    ReplyDelete
  40. These sound like great books. I can't wait to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a fascinating story. I remember you were one of my first friends on MySpace. Back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lauren, you have had such an amazing publishing journey so far! I can't wait to see how the rest plays out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I linked to this on my blog a while ago but never got a chance to read the whole thing to the end until now. It was so wonderful to read, and it put a smile on my face because I remembered the halcyon days of early Red Dress Ink. I also love how your agent failed to submit Thin Pink Line, and it ended up being the first RDI hard cover. It was a great book, too. I remember the part about trying to get someone's sonogram printout.

    Your publication stories are so inspiring!

    So far, I've only published those first 2 RDI books, but I am working on 3 more. Some have taken a while. I keep revising and revising rather than submitting - but I need to kick my own tush and stop trying to make them perfect. I have two teen books I really want to get out there. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete