Friday, December 3, 2010

10 notable books of 2010

by Carleen Brice

AND THE WINNER IS...Nicole! Please send me your mailing address and I will send you a signed copy of my book. Hope you like it! Thanks for leaving comments everyone!

First, I must send you all over to my other blog to celebrate National Buy a Book By a Black Author and Give it to Somebody Not Black Month. Author-friends are suggesting great books for gift ideas AND giving away signed books. I'll wait while you go check it out.

You're back? Ok, now I can offer you a signed copy of my book over here. Just leave me a comment letting me know you checked out said other blog and I'll randomly pick a winner at 5 pm MST Friday Dec. 10 to send a signed copy of Children of the Waters.

2010 was a wonderful year for book releases by black women. Brava sister-writers! (Of course, our own Lori L. Tharps and Ernessa T. Carter had great debut novels this year!) Here are 10 others that stand out and would make great holiday gifts for readers:

Before You Suffocate Your Own Fool Self by Danielle Evans: Debut short story collection that is one of Alan Cheuses' tops of winter 2010.

Broken Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin: 2nd in an amazing fantasy trilogy.

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi Durrow: national-bestselling story of a young mixed-race girl who survives a family tragedy.

Glorious by Bernice McFadden: glorious story about the Harlem Renaissance and an Oprah-magazine pick.

Moonshine by Alaya Johnson, who mixes prohibition mobsters and vampires to create a mighty brew.



Uptown by Virginia DeBerry and Donna Grant: Speaking of timely, this is a story about real estate and family drama.



Wading Home by Rosalyn Story: I'm impressed by writers and impressed by musicians. A writer who is also a musician? Wow! Father-son drama set in New Orleans as Katrina hits.

Wench by Dolen Perkins-Valdez: Heartwrenching novel about four women friends and their lovers (who also happen to own them) who visit a real-life resort right before the Civil War.

What Mother Never Told Me by Donna Hill: Like mother-daughter stories? Check this "good read" out!

Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor: Another one for fantasy lovers. Amazon picked this as one of their top 10 of 2010.

26 comments:

  1. this is a wonderful list Carleen--can't wait to tackle it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choices. I'm doing my part by giving away an autographed copy of The Girl Who Fell From the Sky here: http://southernauthors.blogspot.com/2010/12/why-writing-is-best-damn-job-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Carleen, for drawing attention to so many great books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each and every book sounds great. Off to buy. Thanks for the list (and for your great books.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read Broken Kingdoms, Wench, and Who Fears Death so far and really enjoyed all three. A few of the others are on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm super-excited that my book made this wonderful list! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited to start introducing my kids to this great list. I thought I was near the end of my Christmas shopping.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for introducing me to some new books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can't wait to share these with the book club ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Carleen!! Thrilled to be included in this illustrious list with these amazing authors. Happy National Buy a Book by a Black Author and Give it to Somebody Not Black Month! The 3rd annual right?! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list, Carleen! Can't wait to dig in to it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Carleen for the suggestions and the blog link. I can't wait to buy Noni Carter's book for me and my teens!!
    I hope I win your book!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carleen, thank you so much for choosing my book, Wading Home! A great honor to be included with so many wonderful authors. Can't wait to read the other books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I checked out white readers meet black authors and ended up spending a good 1/2 hour reviewing the books listed. I hope to win your book! I have added alot of great titles to my to read file today

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wench is already on my TBR pile. Thanks for the other great suggestions, Carleen!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having 2 "mixed" kids :) I was so happy to see the book Mixed- a book of pictures! I want to get a hold of that in the worst way to show to my kids! How exciting that is!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So many end of the year lists tout the same books. Thanks for introducing some voices we might have otherwise missed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great picks! Thanks for the giveaway chance too.. Icing on the cake( : I'm so glad your blog was recommened to me!
    Tiffany
    http://acozyreaderscorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great list, several of your suggestions really caught me eye! I hope to give them a read!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I checked WRMBA blog. I would love to win your book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. As the founder of a very young & new neighborhood book club I'm always checking out new blogs for suggestions. I've heard of a few on the list but printed out a copy to bring to our next meeting. Thank you!
    I also subscribed!

    ruthiekb72ATyahooDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Anon, If you win, you'll have to give me a way to contact you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love both sites! Thanks for bringing awareness to our up and coming African American authors.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I listen clearly this book voice and its info really amazing thanks for share it resume writing tips 2016 .

    ReplyDelete