Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A New Year, a New Release and a Contest

First off, I wish you all a very Happy New Year. May all your resolutions be kept and good luck head your way. I hope everyone had a lovely holiday and that the weather didn't strand anyone someplace they didn't want to be.

This January 4th, the third book in my paranormal romance series goes on sale. To celebrate, I will send one commenter the first two books. If you win and you already have these two books, I'd be happy to substitute two of my historicals. I will post the winner on or about January 5th, 2011. If you don't leave me a way to contact you, you'll need to check the blog to see if you won.

Contest Legal Stuff
No purchase is necessary. Void where prohibited. Winner chosen at random (via random.org) from among eligible commenters to this post. You must comment by midnight Pacific, January 4th, 2011. Your comment should answer one of the  questions at the end of this post. Open to international entries, unless there's a law against it in your country or mine.

My Immortal Assassin, by Yours Truly, Carolyn Jewel



Revenge. It's all Grayson Spencer wants. Christophe dit Menart, a human with dark magical powers, destroyed the life she loved. She wants the pleasure of killing him, no matter the cost to her. If not for Durian, a dangerously sexy demon fiend charged with keeping Christophe alive, she would have succeeded, too. Now, she's certain all hope is gone. But he has a plan and an offer she can't resist...
Durian has spent his life as a trained and sanctioned assassin. His duty: to enforce the laws against demons harming humans. He's always prided himself on staying out of the fray, carrying out his orders and honoring his fealty to his warlord, but never getting attached. Never until Grayson, a spunky and determined woman clearly gifted with magic herself. He convinces her to swear fealty to him so he can protect her and teach her to use her magic to taste the revenge she so desperately wants.

They're soon bound together in a forbidden desire--a dangerous passion that calls into question Durian's oath of loyalty to his warlord. When he refuses to return her to Christophe, his disobedience threatens to inflame the tumultuous war between demons and the magekind. Can they--and their love--survive?

Why You Should Rush out and Buy This Book Immediately!

Forever, Grand Central Publishing, January 2011
ISBN: 978-0446563864
Romantic Times 4 1/2 stars
The lines in the war between Magekind and Fiends continue to blur in the next installment of Jewel's exhilarating My Immortal series. The protagonists in this drama have both suffered terribly, giving them a common ground and enemy. Jewel provides her fans with a terrific tale that has action aplenty and drama to spare. Great stuff!
Jill M. Smith Read full review
Alternative Worlds
Fast-paced from the moment Gray and Durian meet on the streets of San Francisco. Read Full Review

Publisher's Weekly
Jewel's third paranormal (after 2009's My Forbidden Desire) is an exciting return to a world of demons and mages.
BookPage - Romance of the Month - Top Pick!
Dark, edgy and laced with thrilling desire, My Immortal Assassin will set readers' hearts racing.
Christie Ridgway
Read Full Review

Read Chapter 1 of My Immortal Assassin

Order the book

Books in the Series

Book 1: My Wicked Enemy
Book 2: My Forbidden Desire
Book 3: My Immortal Assassin
Book 4: My Dangerous Pleasure - June 2011

Interview With The Author


Q: So, Carolyn, tell us about yourself.

A: I write romance novels, bake so I have an excuse to airquotesTaste Testairquotes cakes, cookies and pies. Also, I have a day job with computers and servers.

Q: What's your favorite animated cartoon?

A: Sponge Bob

Q: Favorite TV Show?

A: I only watch one, and that's True Blood. We cancel HBO when the series is over for the year. However, I am sorely tempted by the HBO series for George R. R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice because oh my gosh! Also, Sean Bean is in it.

Q: Favorite color?

A: It's really strange that you ask me that, because I was just talking about that the other day---

Q: I know.

A: Gray. But I like it better when it's spelled grey. I mean, what other color has two accepted spellings? I do think it's strange that I like gray. It's not the flashiest color around. I can't explain why I like it, and actually, maybe I shouldn't even try.

Q: Finish this sentence:  If I had a bazillion dollars I would . . . .

A: Not have to answer your silly questions? What would you do if you had a bazillion dollars?

Q:

Q: Most hated vegetable?

A: There are three vegetables of doom:
  1. Cooked carrots
  2. Cooked peas
  3. Brussels sprouts
At Christmas, my youngest brother, who worked as a chef for a while and now caters on the side, cooked our holiday meal. One of the dishes was brussels sprouts. I gamely agreed to try them on the theory that an actual chef might render this vegetable of doom palatable.

Q: And?

A: No.

Contest Question

Answer at least one of these questions. Feel free to lie, fudge the details, tell the truth or otherwise go off topic, as long as I know which question you're answering.
  1. If you were walking in the woods and you saw a wolf would you a) grab your camera and start taking pictures b) Make sure you have your wolfsbane handy because you know for a fact that's no ordinary wolf  c) Call Grandma and warn her 4) Feed it Brussels sprouts, wait for it to be violently ill, then walk away feeling safe but also kind of sorry for the wolf.
  2. Would you rather have the power to heal all wounds, know how to fix your computer or turn Brussels sprouts into chocolate?
  3. Look to your left. What's the first thing you see? (If it's Brussels sprouts, there's just no hope for you.)
I will post the winner on or about January 5th, 2011. If you don't leave me a way to contact you, you'll need to check the blog to see if you won.

18 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn!
    I have high hopes for Martin's HBO series.
    Just a week to go before your new book is Released into the book-wilds!
    If I was walking in the woods & saw a wolf I'd grab my camera and start taking pictures.
    I'd rather have the power to turn Brussels sprouts into chocolate. ;)
    Look to my left. What's the first thing I see? Non-Chocolate Brussels Sprouts!
    :)
    Fun questions!
    All the best,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I look to my left I see another computer. Talk about multi-tasking! I'm hesitant to even mention this for fear of automatic disqualification from the contest, but I actually like brussels sprouts. Think of them as bite-size cabbages.

    Kelly J. R.
    kjramstack at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Definitely take my camera out. Even though given my luck, the pictures probably wouldn't come out very well.
    2. Heal all wounds. I've operated on broken computers for sometimes a year at a time, and I don't like chocolate(shock and horror!)
    3. A purple ceramic jar with "Fantasies" written on it. I keep transparent green marbles inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a hilarious interview!! Great post, Carolyn.

    If I was walking in the woods and I saw a wolf, would said wolf actually be Taylor Lautner? Because then I'd just make out with him. BUT if he were some non-hottie werewolf, I guess I'd have to bust out my wolfsbane, because I always wanted to be a kick-ass heroine like that. But, really, all the while, I'd be wondering if he were hot....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to 2 more of your Demon novels in 2011--
    wolfsbane
    know how to fix computer [there aren't enough BS in my world to make transformation magic worthwhile]
    an autoharp

    Brussel sprouts and cabbages come from the same family --cruciferous, because the cut stem resembles a cross. All members of that family have more sulfur than normal vegetables. Myself, I don't like the taste of sulfur. And many people have difficulties digesting sulfur, leading to the miasmic "broccoli fart."

    I own all your books, except the very early historicals. I am currently re-reading Crimson City.

    Thank you!!

    h3likon at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm extremely excited for Song of Fire and Ice, which looks to be amazing~ Also, call me crazy, but I'm sensing you might not like Brussels sprouts. ;)

    Immediate to my left is my snoozing sister. Looks like a really good idea, actually...

    julieguan AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sean Bean, huh? I know nothing about Song of Fire and Ice (except that it exists), but now I'll probably have to check it out. My mom loves him; she was not happy when he died in LOTR.

    To my left, there's a stack of files in my inbox. :(

    markatkenATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on all the great press! Love the cover as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh...I love True Blood as well and that is the only reason why I have HBO! Now on to the questions:
    Hmm...
    1. I would have my wolfsbane handy.
    2. The power to heal
    3. A glass of iced tea

    cbandy10(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carolyn!

    1. Call Grandma and warn her.
    2. Power to fix my computer!
    3. The window to my office (I'm taking a break, I swear) which looks out into the parking lot.

    natascha at jaffa dot name

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not sure that I ever tried brussle sprouts. That's a little suprising concidering the garden my Granny had when I was growing up. She grew all sorts of terrible things she insisted we eat. I have my own garden now and my own collection of veggies to torment my daughter with. ;)

    1) I would grab my camera and start taking pictures (I wouldn't be able to help myself). And maybe pull out some wolfsbane, just in case.
    2) I would love to be able to heal all wounds. I have a son who is very accident prone and insists on playing a variety of sports - including football and wrestling - as well as bike riding and tree climbing, etc. with the neighborhood boys.
    3) The foosball table that the kids never play with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. Feed it Brussels sprouts, wait for it to be violently ill, then walk away feeling safe but also kind of sorry for the wolf - how else would I get rid of my Brussels sprouts (ho ho ho)

    2. Heal all wounds - then I can use the proceeds of my business to buy chocolate

    3. A wall to my left but a box of chocolates to my right - whoo!

    Congrats on the new release, Carolyn, and I love your sense of humor!

    abbydillon16@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I look to my left I see a drink bottle hanging out of handbag. I'd choose the ability to heal all wounds, because frankly I'm very uncoordinated. Being able to heal all the inadvertent bruises, cuts, scrapes and burns would improve my life immensely.

    Kate1485 at hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hysterical! To my left is my dog, staring at me with a look that says, "Give me snausages!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would rather have the power to heal all wounds.

    likwan@mail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would watch the wolf to make sure I wasn't coming upon a kill and then take pictures.

    Fixing my computer would be the way to go :), healing would be next.

    When I look to my left I see a Blue Spruce.

    Thanks for the contest. vsloboda(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  17. That cover is HOT!!!

    *looks to my left* I see my Kindle, and my Associated Press style guide... And I consider both my bibles :)

    kristincheee (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I looked to my left and I happen to be looking out into my backyard. There I see that the grass is slowing dying from lack of rain, that it is getting dark outside and I need to turn on the lamp and there is a plane flying overhead. Thanks for the giveaway.

    iqb99@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete