Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Promotion & Me - the Awkwardness by Leslie Langtry

Why promotion is scary...

First, let me say that for this week, 'SCUSE ME WHILE I KILL THIS GUY is available for 99 cents on Kindle! Check it out at dailycheapreads.com.

That's it. That's all I've got. I'm not a whiz at promotion. And my day job is Public Relations and Marketing for a nonprofit. That may sound bad. I'm not really clueless. At least, I hope I'm not.

I can promote events and services like a pro. I've had sell-out crowds at events for work and one of them was voted "Event of the Year" by the community. I can make you laugh and I can make you cry. But I don't know the secret to schilling my books.

Apparently, my books are good. Everyone from the Chicago Tribune to Publisher's Weekly says they are. But I still find it weird to toot my own horn.

I've heard that this is a woman thing - that men have no trouble throwing their egos (among other things) out there for all to see. Maybe that's true. But it doesn't make sense. I'm an OMG-off-the-charts Extrovert. I love public speaking. I performed in an improvisational comedy troupe in college. I love talking to folks at my book signings. So why can't I do this?

Part of it is that with all this technology - social networks, websites and blogs, I'm a bit overwhelmed. I know that online promotion can be a full-time job for authors when they KNOW where to start and what to do.

And if you are one of those authors, I am in awe of you. So I have this suggestion - you should write an ebook on how you do it and sell it online. I'd be the first in line to buy it. And then I might get this figured out.


  1. Hi Leslie. I so feel your pain. I'm an introvert and don't like tooting my own horn. That said, I think you've done a great job here. You got the word out about your book. I'll look for it on Kinlde!


  2. Thanks Sara! My two critique partners are that way too and we always try to do signings together.

  3. 'SCUSE ME WHILE I KISS THIS GUY - what a great title!

  4. I think part of the reason why it's so hard is that social media is changing so quickly! It can be a full-time job ... but then when does the writing get done? And I agree - great title!

  5. This is so funny! I work in promotions too for television and I hate doing it for myself, but now as an e-book author I have to. I would buy that book too.