Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Favorite Writing Sayisms


by Maria Geraci

Is sayism even a word? Not sure about that. I'll confess, I'm one of those people who always messes up phrases. For the longest time I thought the saying was "Up and Adam” which made no sense but I figured it must make sense to someone since everyone was always saying it. I also got confused when Coldplay came out with Viva La Vida (I thought it was called When I Ruled the World), mixing it up with Ricky Martin's Livin' La Vida Loca. Not that the 2 songs are remotely similar, but well, hopefully you get my grift. I mean, my drift.

So this thing I do with phrases also runs true with my own personal writing sayisms. I just tailor them a bit to make sense to me. I have several printed out on index cards placed over my computer for me to look at for inspiration. Here are my favorites truths:

If I don’t know how this novel is going to end, then neither will my Reader.  It’s the sayism that finally gave me the permission to stop plotting. And trust me, I wanted to plot. Desperately. But I suck at plotting, just like I suck at writing outlines. I’m a pantser and I’m okay with that.

Write Like No one is ever going to read this stuff. Or, in other words, Shut up, Internal Editor. Whenever I begin to think “oh, I can’t write that,” I look up at the index card with this sayism and shrug, “What does it matter? No one is ever going to read it anyway.” Honestly, this is when I come up with my best stuff. It’s what lets my voice come through.

Kill your ellipses… Because I simply cannot kill my darlings.

Show AND Tell. Because occasionally you have to hit the reader over the head. Just occasionally, mind you.

Write almost every day.  Because almost every day is better than none and every day is too impractical (like most professional writers, I also have a day job and a family).

And my favorite sayism of all time:

There are 3 rules to writing and someone out there knows exactly what they are. In other words, never stop learning, never stop listening to advice, and never stop improving your craft. 

How about you? Any favorite writing truths you swear by?


Maria Geraci was born in Havana, Cuba, and raised on Florida’s Space Coast. She writes contemporary romance and women’s fiction with a happy ending. The Portland Book Review called her novel, The Boyfriend of the Month Club, “immensely sexy, immensely satisfying and humorous.” Her fourth novel, A Girl Like You, will be released August, 2012 by Berkley, Penguin USA. For more information, please visit her website at www.mariageraci.com

24 comments:

  1. Love this! It's hard to turn off that internal editor for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This came right on time for me. Thanks for the wonderful post. Man, I wish I could quit ellipses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ernessa. Ellipses are like my chocolate. I love them, but I end up taking about... oh, 3/4's of the originals from my final draft;)

      Delete
  3. No! Not the ellipses! Funny post. If I had a rule, it would probably be whenever you think you're done, let the work cool for a month and see if you're really done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one, Karin. That would be part of my "let it marinate" sayism :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. This is too funny, and I can so relate. I'm a pantser too, and probably a rule for me would be "Don't fall for the new plotting gimmick/arc/chart/graph/3-act-play/snowflake/cat-saving method" It won't work. Not for me. :-) I keep thinking there will be this magic method that I can actually stick to and will be so much easier than my pantser ways. But it doesn't matter how many hours I spend lining it all out, it all goes off the rails by page two. The second part of that rule would be "Embrace your own wacked out ways. They somehow work for you."

    Love this post, Maria! I feel ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Embrace your own wacked out ways." That one is going up on my bulletin board. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post. My favorite writing truism? Show up every day and write. No exceptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great sayism, Christine! Butt to chair works every time :)

      Delete
  7. I sooooooo suck at plotting. And I agree with Sharla. I have to stop falling for the "cure" that will relieve me of my panster-ness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suck at plotting too. I dream of an index card filled bulletin board in color coded pen that tells me exactly what is going to happen next. Alas, never going to happen!

      Delete
  8. I am very happy to visit this blog post which is very funny and enjoyable. Maria Geraci shares my favorite writing saysisms in that article which is very informative for the students. So this personal statement pediatric residency help you in your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not follow any kind of specific rule while I am going to write. I just think from my mind and then I was sit for writing and it gives me pleasure. visit the website to know more how to get quality writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really very nice idea you share in here and i know every viewers are also like this. For get more online plagiarism checker for research papers this post will be very useful for us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your satisfaction is our top priority. Buy writing service online and get rid of your academic writing problem. Are you looking for ways in hiring a virtual assistant. then don't need to worry.Just contact to our professionals and see a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information about writing. This information should helpful to solve academic writing problem. Also great blog here with all of the valuable information you have Keep up the good work you are doing here.Well, got a good knowledge. Also you can take help from resume editing services at http://www.resumeeditingservice.com/

    ReplyDelete