Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Game of Seven

Hi All!

So, the topic-of-late here has been Tales from the Trunk Novel.  And I'm into, really.  That said, I'm also into the fact that my favorite yoga teacher (j'adore) suggested at Memorial Day that all his yogis spend the summer looking forward, not backward.  True story.  So, there's that and there's also the fact that while I'm not always good at moving on from things, I'm actually really good at moving on from my trunk novels.  I'm over them.  That's not to say that I don't want to post an excerpt of my unpublished writing.  I in fact DO want to post an excerpt of my unpublished writing.

To that end, there's a game going around Facebook that came my way via girlfriends Brenda Janowitz, Ellen Meister and Karin Gillespie (fine writers all.)  It's called The Game of Seven and here's what you do:

The challenge is to post seven lines from an unpublished work. Specifically, you:
Go to page 7 in your manuscript
Go to line 7
Post the next 7 lines exactly how they are (no cheating).

Here's mine:

Sometime before my last such excursion a couple had moved into the apartment, unbeknownst to me.  They also hadn't locked their door and it was, I would say, embarrassing for everyone when on my way home from work one evening I walked into their apartment while they were having dinner.  I felt at the time that it would best not to say anything, and so I left their apartment, perhaps no more stealthily than I had entered it and spent the remaining year that I lived there anxious that I would "run into" them again.


My favorite part about that?  It's from the first essay in my essay collection, YOU TELL YOUR DOG FIRST.  That's the cover up yonder.  And while it is at present unpublished, it will in fact be published on November 6. Just about four more months. Can't wait.



x
Alison



4 comments:

  1. Great excerpt, great cover. Can't wait to read it! Congrats, Alison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Alison. Will look forward to it in November!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my case, I tell my cats first...but how could anyone resist talking to the dog on the cover?! Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ali! Loved that!!! And I love your cover.

    But no fair-- your writing is so awesome and you only gave us 7 lines of it!! More, please!!!

    ReplyDelete