Monday, September 3, 2012

Pinterest and Promotion


by Sara Rosett
 
I love Pinterest. 

I’m on the site a lot, but it’s okay. I’m working when I’m pinning.

No, really. It’s true.

While writing my last two books, I started pinboards for each of them, pinning inspiration for settings, character, and even research articles. (See, pinning is work!)

It was only later, as I neared the completion point for my first ebook that I had a brainstorm: why not use those pinboards for promotion, too?

It was brilliant! The pinboards were ready-made promotion tools. How many times had I wished I could see the places an author described as I read a book? Now I could show my readers the gaudiness of Vegas and the decaying grandeur of Venice.

There are a couple of advantages to using pinboards for book promotion:

A pinboard about your book lets you promote your book subtly. You’re pinning and you’re getting the word out about your book, showing people what your book is about, but not with that in-your-face aggressiveness that is such a turn off.

A pinboard about your book is so much more interesting than just posting your cover. Lots of authors post covers on Pinterest. I have a pinboard called "My Writing Life" with my covers, but a pinboard devoted to a book is a new twist. Being a little bit different will help you standout.

A book-based pinboard is like a bonus feature for readers. You know that feeling when you finish a book and wish there was more? A pinboard gives readers an extra dose of your fictional world. 

My very first e-book, Elusive (Book #1 in the On The Run series), has a link at the end of the book to the Elusive pinboard.

It feels right to try some new things right now. I’ve never self-pubbed a novel. Short stories and short non-fiction, yes. But an original novel? Nope. New territory. The book itself is a departure from my usual cozy mystery territory. 

In Elusive, free-spirited Zoe Hunter's ex-husband disappears and his business partner is murdered. Then several million dollars vanish from the business account. Being a prime suspect in both a murder and a fraud case motivates Zoe to figure out what happened, and she embarks on a journey that takes her from Las Vegas to Italy. 

Elusive is very different from any book I’ve ever written. I’m so excited to be doing something new, and, at the same time, I'm crazy-scared, too!

It feels a bit like that scene in the third Indy movie when he closes the book and takes the step off the edge of the cliff…and lands on the invisible staircase. I hope there is a staircase there for me in this ebook adventure.

No matter how it turns out, I’ll always have Pinterest. :)

Here's my Elusive pinboard. Elusive is available at Amazon and Smashwords. B&N and other retails to follow shortly. 

How do you use Pinterest? (Besides, for fun, of course.)  

When not pinning, Sara writes mystery (Ellie Avery series) and intrigue (On the Run series). As a military spouse, Sara has moved around the country (frequently!) and traveled internationally. The photo at the right was taken during trip to Venice, which inspired her new thriller, Elusive. Publishers Weekly called Sara’s books, "satisfying," "well-executed," and "sparkling."

Sara loves all things bookish, considers dark chocolate a daily requirement, and is on a quest for the best bruschetta. Connect with Sara at www.SaraRosett.com or sign up for her newsletter list here. You can also find her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, or Goodreads.

5 comments:

  1. I love this post Sara, because I'm crazy for Pinterest too. And it IS working! Recently my editor asked for ideas for my May book's cover. I sent her a link to my board on Pinterest where I'd been collecting ideas for months.

    So exciting about your new book and new ventures--wishing you all success! xoxo Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lucy! I saw your post about Pinterest and thought that it was great that your editor used your Pinterest board. Such handy things, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a social media queen. Happy pub day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara, this looks very cool but I fear I am an old dog (an old cat, actually) and I cannot learn one more new trick. Happy Pub Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Karin...You're not so bad yourself!

    Hey, Lauren. Only do something for promotion if you want to, otherwise it's not worth it. I've learned that one the hard way!

    ReplyDelete