Thursday, November 29, 2012

Not Writing, But Reading

by Lauren Baratz-Logsted

This month's cycle at GBC, we're talking about NaNo. The only problem is that I never do NaNo, because my year is typically one big NaNo. For example, since Monday, I've written 14,000 words of a new novel, not to mention blog posts etc.

So instead of talking about strategies for writing quickly, I'm going to do a reading post. Since others else-Internet are posting their Best of 2012 reading lists, although it's not even December yet, and since I'm likely not due up here again until 2013, I thought I'd post my list now.

I keep a reading journal and put stars next to the books I deem the most worthy reads. When I make my end-of-year list, I knock out those books that I can no longer remember. Here then are the best books I read this year that I can still remember:

Best Books Read in 2012

Best Adult Fiction


The Paris Wife, Paula McLain

The Odds, Stuart O'Nan

The Art of Fielding, Chad Harbach

Hanging Hill, Mo Hayder

Trick of the Dark, Val McDermid

The Leopard, Jo Nesbo

The Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes

The Night Swimmer, Matt Bondurant

Night Swim, Jessica Keener

Light from a Distant Star, Mary McGarry Morris

The Lost Saints of Tennessee, Amy Franklin-Willis

Vixen, Ken Bruen

Gone, Cathi Hanauer

The Good Father, Noah Hawley

Helsinki White, James Thompson

The Darlings, Cristina Alger

Broken Harbor, Tana French

Say Nice Things About Detroit, Scott Lasser

The Innocents, Francesca Segal

The World Without You, Joshua Henkin

Alys, Always, Harriet Lane

The Keeper of Lost Causes, Jussi Adler-Olsen

The Shadow Girls, Henning Mankell

The Lifeboat, Charlotte Rogan

Best YA and Middle Grade (MG)

First Day on Earth, Cecil Castellucci (YA)

A Monster Calls, Patrick Ness (MG)

Where Things Come Back, John Corey Whaley (MG)

The Big Crunch, Pete Hautman (YA)

This is Not a Test, Courtney Summers (YA)

The Wicked and the Just, J. Anderson Coats (YA)

Best Nonfiction

The Presidents Club, Nancy Gibbs and Michael Duffy

Note: For the last several years, I've always picked one book that stood above all the others. This year, despite how many books appear on this year-end roundup, there are no books that stand head and shoulders above the rest. Here, then, are some of the books I've given this accolade to in previous years:

This Human Season, Louise Dean

Breath, Tim Winton

Kings of the Earth, Jon Clinch

The Old Romantic, Louise Dean

Little Bee, Chris Cleave

And that's it! A long list of books for you to potentially go out and buy to support your reading habit.

Oh, bloody hell. Even though I never do NaNo, clearly a writer who can string together 14,000 (hopefully) intelligible words in four days knows something about stringing words together, so here are some free tips from me to you:

1) Don't cook. You want to pile up the pages? Other people cook for you - you don't cook for them - or you rely on takeout or, my favorite lunch, Chips In A Bag.

2) Don't clean. If nothing is actively crawling in your house, it's clean enough.

3) Don't apologize or ask for permission. Presumably, all the others in your household, however many there may be, don't apologize because they do things that satisfy their soul in some way. You shouldn't either.

4) Set daily goals. Sure, Twitter etc is a distraction - for all of us - but "I spent too much time on social media today" is no better an excuse than "the dog ate my homework." Be professional about your writing. Set those daily goals and then don't sleep until you've met them. You can always play afterward or in the gaps.

And that's really it! Enjoy your reading list! Enjoy the last day of NaNo!

Oops, before I go, here's one thing you can do for me. I don't expect a whole list, but how about telling me the title of just one book you read this year that you think the world - or at least I! - would enjoy?

Be well. Don't forget to write.

Lauren Baratz-Logsted is the author of 26 books - and counting - for adults, teens and children, the most recent of which is Pursuing the Times, a comedic romance for adults (buy it! buy it!) You can read more about her life and work at www.laurenbaratzlogsted.com or follow her on Twitter at @LaurenBaratzL

27 comments:

  1. The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh

    And, thanks for the free tips. Of course, I don't have to be writing for some of those to not happen, but the validation is comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.My.Gawd!!!!!

    You had me at chips in a bag, girlfriend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this list, Lauren!! For me, GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn was the best book of the year. That thing blew me away. Pick it up asap and read it-- they're about to cast the movie and I'm sure they'll give away all of the plot twists. And trust me, they are too good to miss.

    And man, do I love these tips!! So, no cooking or cleaning, and you get to eat potato chips for your meals? When are you organizing a writer's retreat at your house? I'm in!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Brenda on Gone Girl and I also loved Wild by Cheryl Strayed.

    Great rules. Especially the house cleaning bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Because I couldn't pick just one, I have two favorites from the year: Labor Day by Joyce Meynard (I was sobbing by the end), and Domestic Violets by Matt Norman (hilarious, with an epic rant skewering corporate cube life).

    Have heard great things about The Art of Fielding--adding to my wish list now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am so impressed (and shamed) that you read so many books this year. My list is anemic at best. Hoping to catch up over Xmas break!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Lauren,
    I echo the above comment--you have put my 2012 reading list to shame! Must do better in 2013 :) Thank you so much for including Lost Saints of Tennessee on your best reads list. It warms this debut novelist's heart.

    Best wishes for a lovely holiday season. I'm off to try to write 14,000 words in the next 2 1/2 days so I can finish draft of new book. :) I'll be consuming only Lean Cuisine and Diet Dr. Pepper...

    Amy Franklin-Willis

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lauren, your list is amazing! Thanks for all the recs...
    Agreeing with Brenda and Karin on GONE GIRL. That was a fascinating one. A really unique and clever paranormal story was THE ROOK by Daniel O'Malley. And I'm enjoying Kate Morton's THE SECRET KEEPER right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You put my list to shame as well...haven't been able to read NEAR enough this year. Oh, I keep buying them...they just look at me...or my Nook keeps looking at me for them. I get so excited when I get to read one, like I've accomplished something major. :)

    I read alot of Karen White this year, and Roni Loren. (two extremes, I know, but love them both). Right now I'm reading THE RIVER WITCH by Kimberly Brock, which so far is awesome. :)

    Now...I have to steal your #2 cleaning comment to use SOMEWHERE because I'm still giggling about it right now as I type this. Love it to death and back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for all the great recs, peeps! Some I've read; others I'll add to my list.

    Amy, thanks for popping in. I did so love your book

    OK, remember, everyone: NO CLEANING!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lauren, I keep lists like this, too! All the books I read, my favorites, and then pick an overall favorite. Love it!

    I appreciate all these recommendations.

    The best book I read in 2012 was CODE NAME VERITY by Elizabeth Wein. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You had me at chips in a bag, too. Still laughing.

    Would love to read your review of Alys, Always.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So nice to find your blog on Largehearted Boy's aggregate. I confess I haven't kept up with your work since the Readerville Days. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This has been pretty important for the students to transcribe each and every possible idea which is even considered to be important and favorably these will proved to be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Preparation as well as executing your literary works evaluation as recommended right here will quickly help you in creating the review of literature area of your thesis or dissertation. With these actions as well as design templates, you can write numerous pages of quality scholastic writing in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Education provides the ability of to get rid from negative thinking? If we just ignore the all negative thoughts and we just put focus positive aspects of the work then we can remain safe from all types of problems and doubts regarding work. You can check chemistry homework solver with the help of native writer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reading different books give you best practice to learn writing with efficiency. Reading will give you idea to choose words to write properly. You can check it online with different services.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! This is great post and this is so helpful site also. I think everyone should follow this kind of blog. Thanks for share this post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing very nice post about reading books. By reading good books you can increase your knowledge about the world and different types of things. Also check our services residency application cv for your education help. You have provided lots valuable books in your reading book list. This information and book list should useful knowledgeable for students.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Reading through various publications provide you with greatest exercise to understand composing along with effectiveness. Reading through provides you with concept to select phrases to create correctly. You can examine this on the internet along with various providers https://www.mbaessayediting.net/.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am that kind of guy who always visit so many of blog so that I can read so much as I am that kind of guy who loves to read more. here that I love for the helpful information and its really amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. there has some people who are really into not writing which is not bad either and it is kind of better as they keep reading things. http://www.pressreleasewriters.org/correct-embargoed-press-release-format/ is the best one place to know about the quality writing rules.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Holiday sounds great, but when exchanging gifts here is part of it its super fun.. thanks for sharing this piece now arranging gifts within the budget is easy. liked the way it is covered.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Blogging something we learn from the day we step into an academic institution http://www.similaritychecker.com/website-similarity-checker/. These painting show passion, the ten fields covered in the painting are incredible. Very informative, thank you for the post

    ReplyDelete