Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sacked by Sandy

I was really looking forward to this blog post--I love writing tips. And sometimes making suggestions for other writers gets my creaky gears groaning, too.

But then life intervened--in the form of Hurricane Sandy. Or Cyclone Sandy or tropical storm Sandy or whatever you want to call her. All I know is I was at the end of a lovely vacation, when Sandy stranded me for four extra days. 

In Rome. 

Italy.

I know. It's hard to feel sorry for someone stranded in Rome. And I did eat more than my share of amazing pizza while waiting for news of the storm as it roared toward our home in Connecticut. But I didn't write a word, either for you or for me.

So my best, short writing advice? Apply butt to chair, hold your nose and write, as my good friend Hallie Ephron would say.

On the other hand, if you're still waiting in the dark and the cold, or your house was damaged, or you've lost some precious sense of safety because of the storm, please know that we are all holding you in our hearts. Don't worry about writing now--the words will come when the time is right.

Lucy Burdette is the author of the Key West food critic mysteries, most recently DEATH IN FOUR COURSES.  Read more at her website, or follow her on Twitter, or like her on facebook.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're okay and I hope you enjoyed the extra days in Rome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies! It's very stressful being away during an emergency...not that there would have been anything I could really do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As one who has experienced more hurricanes in New Orleans than I want to think about, my heart is with you!

    ReplyDelete