Friday, May 17, 2013

Create Your Own Summer Reading Program

by Malena Lott

With just days left of the school year, I find myself getting giddy at the prospect of more time to read. My TBR pile is beginning to look like it belongs to a hoarder and no one can see the number of books I've bought on my Kindle app just waiting for a long, lazy stretch to escape.

While my kids turn their noses up at the summer reading programs hosted by the libraries, I've decided to create my own: one book a week, all summer long. I don't need an incentive like a free ice cream cone when I've read 5 or a cute pair of shoes when I hit 20, but why not? Science shows incentives works. What else works? Free books.


So today I'd like to offer up FREE digital arcs of my summer releases TWIN FALLS, my first young adult paranormal novel about a secret colony of messenger angels in Texas, and my fifth women's fiction novel, FAMILY CHARMS, about three sisters who get invited on a trip around the world to see where their mother has been the last twenty years.

But I do have something for those young and young-at-heart readers, too. Treasure Quest: A Short Story by Cara Brookins is free in the Kindle store through Saturday, May 18th. It's currently #8 in children's action adventure. Cara is a talented author from Arkansas and I got to meet her in person at the Oklahoma Writer's Federation conference in Norman two weeks ago. Her Timeshifters series, beginning with MARK OF THE CENTIPEDE, is the most imaginative story I've read in a long time.

For we really avid readers we may always have more books than time to read them, but I say that cure is called Summer.

What's your own summer reading program? Have you set personal reading goals for yourself? Share your plan in comments along with your email address if you'd like an early review copy of FAMILY CHARMS or TWIN FALLS.

A few books on my own summer reading list:
Finishing the fabulous FAREWELL DOROTHY PARKER by Ellen Meister
THE GLASS WIVES by Amy Sue Nathan
RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE by Brenda Janowitz

Happy summer reading, friends!




6 comments:

  1. Hi Malena!

    Love your summer reading program. I've just started an A-Z book challenge for a Good Reads book club and it's like a spring cleaning on my TBR list :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Through MMA your kids to acquire plenty of work out. Here, people are enthusiastic by creating improvement and
    a catalyst to increase increasing through other guys.

    Also visit my page kancelaria adwokacka łódź

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malena! Thank you so much for including my book in your TBR pile!! So honored!!

    Love these covers-- I'm putting both on my summer reading list, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda! I'm in the 20s/30s book club and Allison just invited me to read your book for August. Small world :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great covers. More for the list....if only I didn't have to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Malena, I would love family charms (my email is SheilaCurran@comcast.net ) (I have no clue if that's how it works. Meanwhile, if you send my your address (mailing) I'd be thrilled to send a paperback of Diana Lively is Falling Down..my first book, out of print, except in my garage...it's a fun read, i THINK...

    ReplyDelete