Thursday, June 20, 2013

5 Favorite Quotes: The Writing Process From Beginning to End

 by Sara Rosett 

“How do you write a book?”

It's a question I’ve been asked a lot, and I still don't have a good answer. 

Photo credit: clarita from morguefile.com

Instead of going with my usual vague response about ideas germinating into plot twists, character inspiration, and daily word counts, I thought I’d borrow words from other writers to explain my process. 

How I write in five easy steps:   

1. “The best time to plan a book is while you’re doing the dishes.” ― Agatha Christie

I’m always thinking about writing, stories, plots, characters, descriptions, etc. I cull ideas from news reports, snatches of overheard conversations, and other weird places like Pinterest, Facebook, and even my hair stylist (one of the best places to get story ideas, actually). Those ideas are always churning and activities like housework and long walks are great for sorting them out.

2. “Just get it down on paper, and then we’ll see what to do with it.” ― Maxwell Perkins

I literally would not be a published writer without this quote. I read it years ago when everything I had written was only a few chapters. Nothing was ever good enough:  the first line, the first paragraph, the first chapter. I got bogged down in revisions and never moved on to write the rest of the story.

When I read this quote I thought, well, if that’s the kind of advice he gave to his authors, which included Fitzgerald and Hemingway, then it was good enough for me. I decided I’d get my ideas down on paper first—the whole book—then revise.

3. “Writing is like driving at night. You can see only as far as the headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.” ― E.L. Doctorow
Photo credit: d3designs from morguefile.com

I generally have a firm grasp of how the story begins and how it ends. I write mystery and suspense, so I know whodunit, how they did it, who the suspects are, and how everything wraps up, but that middle part is always a tad fuzzy. I’ve found once I start writing the details and plot twists come into focus as I write. 

For me, I have to get into the story to know what must happen next. Some writers know their whole book in great detail from beginning to end before they put even a word on paper. My little brain can’t hold all that info at once. I have to ease into it.


4. “Books aren't written - they're rewritten.” ― Michael Crichton

Ah, revision. I actually enjoy revising. It’s always a relief to me to get the first draft down then I can go back and clean it up. See #2 above.


5. “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.” ― Mark Twain

That quote pretty much sums up the final stage of writing, doesn’t it? When I do the final edit, the line edit, I agonize over the absolute best word, wrestling with nuance and sentence flow. And, don’t even get me started on commas….   


And one more quote for fun:

Bonus Quote: “Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx

What are some of your favorite writing quotes?


Sara is currently immersed in #5 (line edits) for DECEPTIVE, the third book in the ON THE RUN series, which will be out in July. 
 
 The first two books in the series, Elusive and Secretive are available now. Elusive is currently free at Amazon, Kobo, and Smashwords. 

 Publishers Weekly called Sara’s books, "satisfying," "well-executed," and "sparkling."

Sara loves all things bookish, considers dark chocolate a daily requirement, and is on a quest for the best bruschetta. Connect with her at www.SaraRosett.com. You can also find her on FacebookTwitterPinterest, or Goodreads.


Sources:


25 comments:

  1. I love these quotes, Sara! I'm scheduled to speak to a writer's group and I'd love to share this, if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sara, I love this! I need to remember all of these quotes, especially #2!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Brenda! I think #2 is my top quote. It really did change the way I thought about writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Have you seen the pins with this quote on Pinterest? That's were I first read it. :)

      Delete
  5. These are great!!! I'll have to post them near my computer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi admin,
    your post "5-favorite-quotes-writing-process-from" is very special for us.I think these quotes are very special for everyday life. I have collected many quotes from you, and I will come back soon. It's encourage to work everyday life.So thanks a lot for doing this job. http://www.quoteschart.com/writing-quotes/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the info, keep up the good work going.... I really enjoyed exploring your site. good resource... inspirational lines

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are the possible and concerning prospects and hopefully also help in formulating all those necessary details which students must need to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So instruction is the initial phase in the improvement of each nation, numerous nations now embrace the better methods for training and will get the effective country to work legitimately and skillfully to get best outcomes.best transcription services

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to know this information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some quotes are really needed for life and some are really important for writing. You need to add some quotes while you are writing something. visit the site if want to know more about the writing of your academic papers, research papers and thesis editing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just awesome.You know this is seriously what i have been searching for so long.I am now going to make my resume for masters application as i want to excel further in my career.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just awesome.You know this is seriously what i have been searching for so long.I am now going to make my resume for masters application as i want to excel further in my career.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To start our writing career we need to take time to prepare of us. I believed that good achievement comes with hard work. We are so gainer that personal statements examples for nursing for nursing give us more information in here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There might have so many quotes but there has least of quotes which could have lead into the favourite sides and let you use it. helpful link to check out more helpful guide and tips for writing your papers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Writing a book is a complex process. Book writing is an hard process for any writers. Here you have shared very good information to writing book in right process. Writer should helpful by read this article. Also check our noun checker services here http://www.nounchecker.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do agree with the fact that you can plan your writing content during dishes. This is also happened with me whenever i do my dishes i have so many thoughts in my mind. So i would love to add in my blog this topic.

    ReplyDelete