Monday, June 3, 2013

T Minus 29 days

The last time I had a novel out, it was 2008.  Since that time, I've gotten married, moved out to the suburbs, and had two kids.  So, you could say I've been busy.  But since that time, the publishing landscape has changed-- bookstores are disappearing before our eyes, book reviews are practically a thing of the past, and anyone can publish a book by simply clicking a few times over on Amazon.

Through all of this, I continued to write.  And my agent sold my third novel, RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE, to St. Martin's in a two book deal, while I was in the hospital with my second son.  To say I was excited is an understatement.



RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE is about three generations of women with a culture all their own.  When Hannah finds herself spending the summer with her glamorous grandmother, a widow six times over, at her sprawling beach-front Hamptons estate, she learns that there’s more than one recipe for happiness.  
A story of mothers and daughters, grandmothers and grandchildren, RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE is a quirky story about correcting the mistakes from your past and trying to create a future for yourself. 
It's a book that was inspired by my own grandmothers, and very much informed by my own journey into motherhood.  It's deeply personal, and I think it says quite a lot about where I am in my life right now.

When you sell a book to a large publishing house, it takes about 18 months for the book to be on shelves.  Since my book screams "summer"-- the setting, the gorgeous cover-- the pub date was important, so it will actually be a full two years from the time I got my deal until the book hits shelves.

And we are now at T Minus 29 days.  29 days until my baby (my third baby in every sense of that expression) sees the light of day.  29 days until I put myself out there, completely bare, for all the world to judge.  29 days until I find out if anyone likes the book-- if it means as much to anyone out there as it does to me.

It's my third time having a book published, but every time it's the same: you're scared, you're excited, you're thanking your lucky stars that you even got a book deal and you can feel all of these conflicting emotions all at once.

So, for the next 29 days it's just that: I'll feel scared, I'll feel excited, but most of all, I'll just feel lucky.




I’m the author of SCOT ON THE ROCKS and JACK WITH A TWIST. My third novel, RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE, will be published by St. Martin's on July 2, 2013. My work’s also appeared in the New York Post and Publisher’s Weekly. You can find me at brendajanowitz.com or on Twitter at @BrendaJanowitz.

24 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Brenda, and best of luck with A Recipe for a Happy Life! We share a pub date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Best of luck with your book as well!!

      Delete
  2. What a GORGEOUS cover artwork! I'll be reading this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mina! I'm really in love with the cover, so I'm delighted that you love it, too!!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read it Brenda. The cover is dynamite. And congrats on having a major house love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on book 3, what a gorgeous cover! It does scream "read me at the beach or pool!". I'm sure I'll be picking this one up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita! Yes, this book begs to be read at a beach or a pool. Is that an invitation? :)

      Delete
  5. Love the cover of your new baby, and I'm looking forward to the read. Congrats to you for signing with St. Martin's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christa!! I so appreciate the well wishes!!

      Delete
  6. So excited for you, Brenda! The cover is sumptuous!! May this wonderful book be a huge success.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Ellen, what a great word- sumptuous! I agree!! Thanks so much.

      Delete
  7. Brenda, So rooting for this delicious, new novel to be a big summer splash! Meanwhile your talent and determination are the true recipes for success. You do it all and you do it well! Onward!!!!
    Saralee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Th excitement builds! Can't wait to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin! I so appreciate the kind words!!

      Delete
  9. Brenda,
    How thrilling!!
    This book looks so wonderful and the cover is just lovely!! Congratulations -- those 29 days are going to zip by ;).
    Looking forward to celebrating the release with you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marilyn! I can't wait to celebrate with you, as well!!

      Delete
  10. Brenda, I am SO excited for you!! I can't wait to read and to share your RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE with everyone! What a heartfelt post and, I'm sure, just the beginning of a wonderful journey with this book! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laura! Your support has meant so much to me-- you have no idea!!

      Delete
  11. Congrats! Super exciting! I'm sure folks will love it. I already love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jackie! I really love the cover, too. Delighted you like it!!

      Delete
  12. Can't wait to read this, Brenda. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Maria! I appreciate your support!!

      Delete