Friday, January 3, 2014

Here's to new beginnings!
by Brenda Janowitz

I always get so motivated at the start of a new year.  New beginnings, a chance to start over, a chance to do new things.

And this year, I'm doing something I've never done before.  My fourth novel will be published this winter, but it won't be on the bookshelves at your local bookstore.  No, this time I'm doing something a bit different.

This novel will only be published as an e-book.

No pretty paperback to display on my bookshelf.  No book parties at my local indie and at Barnes and Noble where my friends can come hear me read and then buy my book.  No actual, physical books anywhere to be found.

No, this one will be ordered solely by a click of the mouse.

When the fabulous Jason Pinter contacted me about his new independent publishing house, Polis Books, I jumped at the chance to work with him.  Only, I was halfway into my two-book deal with St. Martin's.  I didn't know what I would do-- I was working on book two for St. Martin's, and that was taking all of my free time.  But, then it hit me:  I had a book proposal that I was completely in love with, but never sold due to changes in the publishing landscape.  I asked Jason if he wanted to take a peek.

The rest, as they say, his history.  Polis Books will be publishing THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB this winter.  I don't have an exact pub date yet, but isn't that the fun of e-publishing?  Immediacy.  The second Jason and I decide that the book's ready to go out in the world, a few clicks, and you will be able to find it at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Apple, or anywhere you buy your e-books.

Jason's already designed a gorgeous cover for the book, so we're just about ready to launch.

Now, you may recognize this book as my "drawer" novel, the one book I wrote but never saw the light of day.  Well, light: here it comes!!  (You can still read the first chapter if you'd like by clicking here!)  I'm so very excited about trying something new.  It's fun, a bit scary, and totally liberating to just go for it.

To celebrate the impending publication of LONELY HEARTS, I'll be reading at Lady Jane's Salon this Monday.  I'd love to see you there!  That is, if the snow clears by then....


What new things will YOU be doing this new year?



I’m the author of SCOT ON THE ROCKS and JACK WITH A TWIST. My third novel, RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE, was published by St. Martin's on July 2, 2013. My fourth novel, THE LONELY HEARTS CLUB, will be published by Polis Books this winter.

My work’s also appeared in the New York Post and Publisher’s Weekly. You can find me at brendajanowitz.com or on Twitter at @BrendaJanowitz.

13 comments:

  1. Wishing you great success, Brenda! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Hooray for getting it out there and embracing indie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ariella! Doing something different is always so scary, isn't it? But exciting!!!

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Brenda. I think it's great that you have a chance to send your drawer book into the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sam! It's kind of crazy to think that after all this time on my computer, it will actually see the light of day!!

      Delete
  4. Yay, Brenda!!! Congrats on dipping your toe into the e-pub world ;). I'm very excited for you and Polis Books looks great! I'm looking forward to celebrating the release of The Lonely Hearts Club when it's time!! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Marilyn! I'm so excited to be working with Jason and Polis!

      Delete
  5. Congrats, Brenda! I think you are making the most of all the publishing options available! I look forward to seeing what's sure to be a grand success and a new feather in your cap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laura! I'm so excited, but I'm really going to miss that hard copy!!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on the upcoming book! I think you'll really like this brave new publishing world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You're such a clever writer.

    ReplyDelete