Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Writing Resolutions

Judith Arnold



  

          I’m not sure how to say this without sounding obnoxious, but I really don’t need to make New Year’s resolutions about practicing good habits. I’m already pretty compulsive about exercise. I eat a healthy diet (chocolate is a health food, right?) I take daily showers. I keep my mind sharp with crossword puzzles and Sudoku. I recycle paper, plastic and glass, shut off the lights when I leave a room, and set the thermostat five degrees colder than I’d like in the winter and five degrees warmer than I’d like in the summer. I stay informed about the world around me by reading two newspapers every day. I look after my mother and help my neighbors. I’m a loyal wife and a proud mom.        I’ve got my weaknesses, of course. (Chocolate is not a weakness! It’s a health food!) I don’t lose my temper very often, but I’m prone to sulking. I can be impatient, lazy, and inattentive. While the rest of my house is reasonably neat, my office looks as if a hurricane tore through it. And—all right—I should probably eat less chocolate.

          But when it comes to New Year’s resolutions, the standard ones just aren’t relevant to me. What I do need are some writing resolutions, guidelines that will help me be a more productive and happier writer. So this year, I resolve to:

1. Sweat the small stuff. In life, the small stuff usually doesn’t matter. In writing, it does. As a writer, I resolve to care about every word choice, every punctuation mark, and every rule of grammar—even if I ultimately decide I need to break that rule. Craft counts, and I want my books not just to tell a great story but to be well crafted.

2. Keep up with the business. Now that I’m independently publishing some of my books, I’ve grown reasonably knowledgeable about the business side of writing, but I have so much more to learn. Even if I don’t feel like reading blogs about analytics, algorithms, and keywords, I resolve to study them until they make sense to me. In the brave new world of publishing, I don’t have the luxury of being a delicate artiste who can’t be bothered with the business side of things.

3. Stop measuring my career against anyone else’s. No matter how successful I am, someone will always be more successful than me. So what? I resolve to measure success by my own personal standards. Am I writing the kinds of books I want and need to write? Am I writing them well? Am I getting them into readers’ hands? If the answers to those questions are yes, yes, and yes, I’m successful.

4. Be true to my muse. Writing is hard enough without entering into battle with the creative energy that fuels my inspiration. If everyone is writing erotica but my muse doesn’t want me to write erotica, I resolve to spare myself a great deal of frustration and torment by ignoring the trends and writing what my muse is telling me to write.

5. Take my time. I don’t have to do everything today. If a book is taking longer to write than I’d planned, there’s probably a good reason for that. You can’t rush a soufflé without the risk of having it collapse. The same goes for books. I resolve to remind myself that whatever doesn’t get done today can get done tomorrow.

6. Read lots of books. (Nobody ever said New Year’s resolutions couldn’t be fun!) I resolve to read books by authors I’ve never heard of, in genres I don’t usually read.

7. Exercise, eat nutritious food, and exercise kindness and compassion. Yes, those are the lifestyle resolutions I swore I didn’t need. And I don’t need them for my lifestyle. I do need them for my writing, and I resolve to pursue healthy habits. They will help to keep my life in balance, and that’s essential for a writer.

And finally, I resolve to keep on eating and enjoying chocolate. Just because.

Dead Ball, the first book in Judith Arnold’s humorous mystery series about a suburban schoolteacher and recreational soccer player suspected of murdering her teammate’s husband with a nail gun, will be released by Bell Bridge Books in the next few weeks. Until then, check out her Daddy School romance series (Father Found, the first book in the series, is free!) and her other independently published romances. For more information about her upcoming titles, please sign up for her newsletter.

13 comments:

  1. Okay, so when it's my turn to blog this cycle, I'm just rerunning yours! I think you said it all, Judith, and so eloquently! Cheers to your 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to post this list on my office wall--especially highlighting #s 5-7!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice...which I need to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you ... but especially about the chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome suggestions - I love it and plan to print it out and pin it up where I can see it. And of course, chocolate is a health food. Anyone knows that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your resolutions, especially the one involving chocolate. Hubby must have anticipated this resolution. He bought me a HUGE box of chocolate covered cherries for Christmas, which I am faithfully consuming--for health reasons, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad all you medical experts have confirmed my suspicions about the health benefits of chocolate. I'll celebrate by eating some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh, I'm feeling like such a slacker next to you. I'm just happy you love chocolate! I love that you exercise kindness, and those resolutions you set, they're terrific. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting useful information. You have provided an nice article resume writing and resume is really matter of our future career. Thank you very much for this one. And I hope this will be useful for many people. And I am waiting for your next post on appeal letter for insurance claim. keep on updating these kinds of knowledgeable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here is the information about the writing resolutions which is good to get the knowledge. If you are not able to read this then you must select the domestic violence paper outline which have a good and short writing note and this is must help you in your learning. After that you are also able to start to write a work plan which is good for you future and also tell you about the others thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. While we want to be a great writers we need to know about this basic rules those are very important for us. i hope every one are be interest to know this tips. visit the website to know more how to get quality writing services.

    ReplyDelete