Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Good Writing Habits by Megan Crane

I spend so much of my time writing that it can be easy to fall into some bad habits without really noticing, like anything else.  And one of my resolutions this year is to really cultivate good writing habits, the better to support myself as I try to write at least five books between now and next New Year’s Eve. 

But what are good writing habits?

Good writing habits grow over time, according to each writer’s individual needs.  There is no prescription.  There’s no one way.  The only way to tell that your writing habits are “good” are the pages you produce.  If you aren’t producing anything, chances are, you have some bad habits.  If you’re doing things that others may think are crazy but you’re writing a lot and you’re proud of it?  That’s probably good.  When I talk about “good,” I’m talking about being productive—but when I’m talking about being productive, I don’t mean at the expense of your sanity, your life, your relationships, or your health.  As we know, that can be a pretty fine line sometimes!

Some authors sit in their chairs every day from 9-5 (at least) and treat their writing like a very serious day job.  Other authors write a line here, a line there, as the mood strikes.  Still other authors squeeze their writing in around the other things that demand their attention—a day job, their kids, the complexities of their particular respnsibilties. 

We all have to do what we can do, and try to make space in our lives for our writing as best we can.  We have to honor our deadlines and our commitments, no matter who is waiting for us to deliver that book—ourselves or our publisher.  Because the easiest thing in the world is to talk about writing.  The hardest thing in the world is to do it. 

We can do it.  It just takes those good habits I mentioned.

Here are my thoughts on how to cultivate good writing habits:

  • The best thing you can do for your writing is to read.  Read widely.  Read everything you can get your hands on in your favorite genre, and then read beyond it.  Read for pleasure, for escape, for inspiration.  It’s often more useful to read a book you hate and fume about it, react to it, write something to counter it, than it is to read a book you love and just want to sigh happily about.  Pay attention to your passions, your obsessions, as you read and as you live.  All of these things inform your writing.
  • At certain points you should indulge the muse.  Make self-indulgent mixes of songs that speak to your characters’ issues.  Lounge around and day dream.  Take long walks.  Think.  Dream.  Wait for that shimmering almost-idea to crystallize into something clear: a line, a thought, a character.  Think some more.  Dream some more.  Let your mind go wherever it likes.  Observe.  Imagine. 
  • At other points you should be a disciplinarian.  You have to force yourself to sit down in your chair and write.  Set goals for yourself, like a certain amount of words or hours of writing per day.  Don’t get up until you finish.  Hold yourself to your own promises.  Be a fierce advocate for your own dreams.
  • The best writing habit for you is your personal mixture of all of the above.  Learn how to trust yourself and your instincts, about words, about stories, about how your time is best spent, and you will grow as a writer.  (And possibly also as a person!  Win/win!)


The more you write, the more you read, the more you will find your way.  I promise.

I’m hoping that my way this year involves more balance, more books, and more overall satisfaction.  Your way will probably be different, and that’s okay.  I can’t wait to read what you write!


Megan Crane is the author of more than twenty novels, most of which she managed to write while wallowing in what can only be described as truly terrible if not embarrassing habits. She has great dreams of changing this, becoming self-actualized and serene, capable of writing whole books while garbed in flowing white caftans, etc.  Hope springs eternal.  She also teaches writing in places like UCLA Extension's Writers' Program. You can find out more about her at www.megancrane.com.

20 comments:

  1. Five books, Megan? You're my hero! I'm just trying for two this year! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan,
    Just out of curiosity -how do you choose your daily word count goal? Does it depend on the deadline for your current wip?
    Love your books!
    Thanks,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara, I said I'm *trying* for five! But I should be able to do it. I think.

    Amy, I can do about 2K/day pretty comfortably, by which I mean, it's just hard enough to take forever and feel onerous on bad days, but easily enough reached on good days that I can feel like a rock star should I go well over. But I start by counting backward from the actual deadline and seeing how much time I have. That can mean that I have to hit a higher daily word count sometimes, or never allow myself a day off--it all depends. Glad you love my books! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the reply! It's hard to set word count goals when you're unpublished and therefore deadline is self-imposed. ;)
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's hard, yes--but that's the most important thing you can do! Honor your own goals. You deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad habits--oy! Too many to count. I enjoyed this post, Megan. I sometimes feel as if I'm grasping at smoke rings when it comes to 'good' writing habits. But, yes, it is about sanity, clarity, health, and also for me, word count.
    xoMaggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, Megan! And it's so true. Some days are way easier than others, but the thing is-- you have to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Megan! Boy do I need to work on good habits! I feel so great when I've done the pages and awful when I don't. Must find happy place-lol! Thanks for stopping by, and five books? Wow--I'm in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very good posting, as an aspiring novelist I found this blog to be very helpful. At least now I know I'm not insane for some of my writing habits. You also brought up a few habits I could really get into.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry but every time I see "Megan Crane," all I can think of is how much I loved NAMES MY SISTERS CALL ME.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think we all feel as if we're stumbling around in the dark, while everyone else is lounging about in the light, producing effortless words... I'm glad you all seem to share that with me! And who knows? Maybe we can all pick up ONE *better* habit this month, and see how that works.

    And Lauren, you don't ever have to apologize for that! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. The necessary guides and probabilities will almost allow students to substantiate with more of the possible provisions which they must needed to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Megan crane is the best writer and thinker who always create good blog for the students. Writing a dissertation is a good habit to achieve goal in case study that will help you in your various projects. So visit the site to hire best helper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. As being a writer I know there has so many habits of a writer you may known to. But if you want to be a good writer then you may follow these things mentioned in this article. visit the website to know more how to get quality writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks a whole lot for writing such a good site source with all, i appreciate your time and efforts considered for the same. I found this worth posting and must discuss this with all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Some Good Writing Habits are following. At the time when are busy in useful link writing, then skip the other thing like Cell phone, Facebook etc. and fully consecrates in the work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good post, I feel so extraordinary when I've done the pages and terrible when I don't. Must discover glad place-lol! A debt of gratitude is in order for making a trip, and five books?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good writing is the need for perfection in life as it comes with practice. The source of things in order and quality form works for good use and require needs. This mention in http://personalstatementeditors.com/ for need.

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you have writing habits then it is really good for you as this writing habit will take you into a new world where you would love to live it. http://www.bestcapstoneprojects.com/

    ReplyDelete