Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Fighting for the underdog
by Brenda Janowitz

It's so hard to get publicity for your books.  For every 50 Shades of Grey, there are about 50,000 other great books that get published and go un-noticed.  For each of my three books, I tried so hard to get the word out-- but I was never able to break into the pages of People or Entertainment Weekly, or any of the big publications that cover books. And the only way to sell books is, well, you know, to have people know that you actually wrote one.

That's why I was so thrilled when the wonderful Debbi Honorof offered me a mini book review column called Brenda's Book Briefs in Long Island Woman Magazine!  It was a no-brainer for me to accept the gig-- after all, I usually read a different book each week-- but then, I realized it could be bigger than just talking about the books that everyone else was talking about.  This gave me an opportunity.  I could champion the books I love, the authors I've fallen in love with, the ones who don't have a voice.

My first column was published yesterday, and I talked about the women's fiction novel NEW MONEY, by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal, an amazing writer who also writes Young Adult.

What do you think of the first column?  I hope to keep bringing you books written by the underdogs-- the ones who don't get coverage in People Magazine, the ones who aren't all over the NYT Book Review.  I hope you'll come along with me for the ride!




I’m the author of SCOT ON THE ROCKS and JACK WITH A TWIST. My third novel, RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE, was published by St. Martin's on July 2, 2013. My work’s also appeared in the New York Post and Publisher’s Weekly. You can find me at brendajanowitz.com or on Twitter at @BrendaJanowitz.



14 comments:

  1. Great post! Great new gig! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ariella! I'm so excited about this.

      Delete
  2. My computer isn't letting me get to the page, but the column looks wonderful! Great layout! Congratulations, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had that issue, too! I think their site is temporarily having issues. Good thing I pulled the pdf. I only stare at it about 10 times a day....

      Delete
  3. We are the champions, my friend! You're doing a great thing and getting your name out there with every column. CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Amy! We totally are!! Thanks so much. V. excited about this.

      Delete
  4. What a smart choice by Long Island Woman Magazine! Congrats on your new gig, Brenda! It sounds fun & informative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you, Laura! I'm reviewing an amazing novel in November. You'll have to check that column out. :)

      Delete
  5. Very cook, Brenda! All the best - and let's hear it for the Little Guy - or Gal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jackie! And yes, I love the Little Guys! And Gals!!

      Delete
  6. Love the new column! And you are always *such* a good friend, to both under- and overdogs!

    ReplyDelete