Monday, August 16, 2010

I Write Books (About Dogs)

Hi Everyone!

Alison Pace here.  I'm so excited to be a part of this great collection of bloggers...many thanks to the lovely and talented Karin Neches for getting it started, and for the invitation to participate.

So, a little about me: I'm the author of four novels, so far.  My first novel, IF ANDY WARHOL HAD A GIRLFRIEND is a romantic comedy set in the contemporary art world, inspired in part by the many (does ten count as many? I think so) years I spent working in that world.  There were also some schnauzers in that book. Over the course of writing that novel I realized that in addition to writing about romance and art and New York, I really love writing about dogs.  My second novel is PUG HILL, written before I had a dog, about a woman in want of a dog.  Right after that book came out, I got a dog.  Carlie.  Here's Carlie, hard at work as muse:

Next came THROUGH THICK AND THIN. That book (started pre-Carlie), about two sisters embarking on a diet together, features a dachshund mix named DB Sweeney.  DB Sweeney acts a lot like Carlie.  Then I wrote CITY DOG and gave Carlie a starring role.  She talks.  There are some people who don't really like the concept of a talking dog.  Just so you know, I have no problem with a talking dog.  I kind of love a talking dog.

My biggest news is that I've just turned in the first draft of my fifth novel.  It's a sequel to PUG HILL and it's a mystery of sorts (I say "of sorts" because it's not all mystery, there's some romance and New York and a lot of art, too). It's tentatively titled PUG HEIST.  I'm not sure that title will stick, but I hope it does.  So, right about now, I'm just taking some deep breaths, waiting for my edits, getting back in touch with friends and loved ones and the gym, and enjoying the last few weeks of summer in New York City, where Carlie and I live.  I've just started reading ONE DAY which I've heard so many great things about.  I'm actually quite excited to get immersed in a book I'm not at all responsible for writing.

If you'd like to know even more about me, I hope you'll check out my website, my blog, my facebook, and my twitter.  Sometimes I wander off, but I can most often be found on the twitters.

Til next time,

Alison

18 comments:

  1. Aw, Carlie is adorable! I love books about dogs and don't mind when they talk - I know mine would if she could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PUG HILL is one of my very favorite novels--can't wait for the sequel! And I love the title PUG HEIST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I loved Andy Warhol Had a Girfriend. I liked One Day, Alison, but that the ending was sooo sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ali! So great seeing you on Saturday!!!

    Talking dogs rule. Love, love, LOVED City Dog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison, that pic of Carlie is SO cute! Seems like I've been reading lots of dog-centric books lately (THE ART OF RACING IN THE RAIN, ONE GOOD DOG, DOG ON IT), and I'm definitely adding your books to my must-read list! They all sound great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh! Your dog is adorable! I have a dog whose nickname is Speed Brick. But he's been on a diet and no longer resembles a brick, but nicknames, you know, they tend to stick.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alison Pace is in the house!

    So glad you're with us ... and so glad you posted a pic of adorable Carlie.

    I don't usually write about dogs, but my current wip has two of them--a funny looking Brussels Griffon named Woollcott and a French poodle belonging to the ghost of Dorothy Parker.

    Welcome, Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A dog lover! You had me at, "Woof." My dog, Phantom, actually does speak. Seriously. Although he must be part ventriloquist...that's it. He's a Shih-a-quist or a Ventri-tzu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pug Heist is a hysterical title! Hope they keep it--looking forward to reading your books...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These all sound great! Include me in the group who carries on full conversations with my dog, Ernie. And I'm quite sure I know what he's saying/thinking back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely adored Pug Hill and want to read Pug Heist!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you joined us Ali and congrats on all your great success. Long may you woof/write!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carlie is adorable! A perfect muse;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alison, it's so nice to have you here!! I totally have to agree with Maria on Carlie--what an adorable little muse!! SO cute ;).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I *LOVE* Carlie! It should be illegal for a doggie to be that cute!! Oh my goodness. Congratulations on turning in your FIFTH manuscript.
    xo
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE talking dogs. I don't have one in any of my stories yet, but I do have talking: cats, lizards, flamingos, sharks, remoras and seagulls. Love the concept of the books Alison!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Could Charlie be any cuter?!?! What a snuggle-muffin.

    ReplyDelete