Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Book and Baby Making




It's almost Mother's Day and I am most looking forward to sleeping in. In being close to 9- a true luxury for most moms I know. Like many parents my internal clock has been set way early and my body no longer goes past 9. 10 years ago I would not have gotten out of bed until 11 and then only to get the paper and bring it back under the covers. Around 10 years ago I was surprised to find out that my first book was going to be published. It was a moment I dreamed of for as long as I can remember. Just over 5 years ago I found out that I was expecting. That was not a surprise, but something that until only recently I hadn't ever imagined.

I knew no one else who had published a book when mine came out, so I had no idea what to expect. I was lucky that when I had my first child I had a a supportive group of women friends who cooked me meals, reassured me whenever I had a question and had no problem grabbing my breasts when I needed help with the latch.




Now, I try to juggle being a writer and being a mom. I've found a lot of support from this very blog. An offhand comment about taking a break during a writer's children's younger years gives me the okay to put less pressure on myself to get everything done while being the glorified servant to a 4 and 3 year old.

Another post about working during naps leads to a mention of writing during breastfeeding that reassures me I can conquer the social networking during the (not so) Quiet Time at our house.

In reality being a writer and being a mother use the same skill set. So here are 10 reasons why publishing a book is just like having a baby1.

1.Conception: Sometimes there is a lot of planning and thought behind it and sometimes someone just shows up and BAM!

2.Gestation: There are days when you feel your brain is clear and you are full of promise. Other times you are so frustrated by what's inside you that you find yourself about to cry on the subway.

3. The Home Stretch: Okay maybe this wasn't such a good idea. I am going to keep my husband up all night to obsess about a specific worry I have. That is a good idea.

4. Delivery Date: It's getting pushed.

5. Birth: No matter how many times I do this, I still don't know what to expect.

6.The Early Days: I'm exhausted but did you see? Did you see what I made?

7. The first couple of weeks: Shouldn't I be getting more attention?

8. The first couple of months: This is a surprise. This is not what I anticipated, but I can handle it.

9. Sometime after delivery: My memory of the whole thing is hazy. It really wasn't so bad, was it? It was actually kind of wonderful. Maybe it's time to try again. (Am I crazy?)

10. I leave this one to my girlfriends. I'm sure you have some good ideas and I unfortunately was having mommy brain when I thought I came up with

Happy Mother's Day and Happy Writing.

You can visit Ariella Papa at her website ariellapapa.com or her facebook page facebook.com/ariellapapabook Her latest novel Momfriends is the perfect gift for the mom (or writer) you love or want to befriend.

5 comments:

  1. So true Ariella!

    How about: Daily grind aka multitasking. As a mom, I can make a peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch bags, quiz my kids on their spelling words, and check with weather forecast. As a writer, I'm always juggling social networking, promotion ideas, and--oh, yeah--the actual writing of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for this gem this morning "to get everything done while being the glorified servant to a 4 and 3 year old." I've been struggling to baby proof the office, so I can write and baby can play. I haven't been very successful, but I keep trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I'll add--Perspective. What seems like a crisis in the moment (OMG, my editor wants me to change that?/OMG, he put what in his mouth?), a day/week/month or two later will be something you laugh at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about "Baby and Book-making," Ariella? Let's gamble our way to success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great comments. I love all the perspective you girls bring me. Thank you

    ReplyDelete