Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Critical Finish by Lucy Burdette



A Critical Finish--that's the working title for my new book. (Of course, based on what's happening to the title for the first, it will never make it onto the finished cover--but that's another blog.) Naturally, every finish is critical. And beginnings, even more so. We never want readers to set the book aside.

So, feeling my usual pre-book jitters, I decided to try something new this time around. Blake Snyder's wonderful book on screenwriting (SAVE THE CAT) recommends writing a sentence or two describing forty scenes and then laying them out on your nice new bulletin board in four rows. (These rows represent the acts of the book or screenplay.) What a great system, thought I. So I made up 40 blank cards and retired into my stepdaughter's recently-abandoned room and took all the ten-year-old photos down off her bulletin board. After a couple of hours, it looked like this:

Hayley finds J floating face-down in the dipping pool...

Eric is arrested for murder!

Dinner at Louie's Backyard where something is disclosed...

Three scenes, that's all I could come up with. Nine books under my belt and I still feel like someone who's been thrown in the pond with no clue how to swim.

So I'm going back to basics for a while and then maybe I'll try the board again. Who dunnit and why? Who else could have dunnit and what secrets are they trying to protect? Why is my heroine involved? And how will she grow and change?

I'll let you know how it goes. How about you, girlfriends? Any sure fire tips for getting started?

Lucy Burdette is the author of the Key West food critic mystery series debuting in January 2012 from NAL. As Roberta Isleib, she's written 8 mysteries for Berkley Prime Crime. You can find her at her website or on Twitter @LucyBurdette, or on Facebook, Lucy Burdette author.

15 comments:

  1. I love Save the Cat! I'm sure you will figure it out. John Truby's book is also amazing and takes the beats to a whole other level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I love Save the Cat. And you know what? No author I've EVER heard feels confident. Right? It's almost like--if you think you know what you're doing, you're heading for disaster. So hey--it will work. I promise. Now Just..do it. Xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried all kinds of ways to get started. With this latest book I am required to do something completely new for me...the dreaded O word...Outline. I ended up with a 62 page outline for a 65k word manuscript. Yep. What I discovered is that while creating the outline felt like shoving toothpicks under my nails now as I write, the process is smooth sailing. The second act, an area within my manuscripts that is usually reserved for sandbars, shoals, sharks and shipwrecks is finished and without pain. I may be a convert. I have to do the dreaded O word on the next two books (editor wants it) but I've decided to use an outline for the books after this contract too.
    xoMaggie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never know where my books are going when I start them. I definitely couldn't do the Save the Cat scene plan, but I do love looking over them at the end and seeing that I've included the crucial element. If you're a pantser, just go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just tweeted a picture of my bulletin board. Not with cards though. Ms pages & notes. I like to do this once I kind of have a feel about the story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have tried some tactics normally used for screenwriting but not the Save the Cat plan. I may give that a try. Some books become more character driven as they progress, so it's hard for me to stick with outlines. Your story will hatch when it is ready. By the way, the expression on your dog's face is hysterical. Talk about sheepish. How cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karin, will have to look at John Truby. But not until I'm finished:).

    Maggie, would love to hear how you went about constructing the outline? Did you use some kind of structure or just force yourself through it? (And someday you'll want to hear about Hank's monster outline...)

    And thanks to each one for the encouragement! I know it will happen--just surprising that each one feels hard!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karin, I'm in the early stages of a new book now, and the only "trick" I have is to start writing and keep writing. The more immersed I get in a story, the more my brain comes up with ideas. I do keep a notebook handy and constantly jot thoughts into it, which always helps. Otherwise, I just follow my gut!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at the cat. I am *such* a cat person.

    Me, the way I get started is I tend to be like Curious George as in: "George sat down on the floor and began to write."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, you are so right--the further you get into a book, the faster the ideas will come! Which makes the beginning feel a little, shall we say, spare...

    Lauren, you make it sound so easy:).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love outlining. I make lots of outlines and I stare at them until I figure out where the problem is. And then I make a new outline.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Lucy - I can see how each book could present its own challenges and make each book difficult in its own way.

    I love STC, too. I wish I'd found it years ago. I especially love one of the tricks mentioned there - using an 11X14 sketch book with divided pages for the "board." I can take it just about anywhere to fiddle with the sticky note story points. I make sure I use the "extra strength" stickies so I don't leave a trail of story points through Starbucks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oops, I meant, Lucy/Roberta, of course! Man, it really is Monday, isn't it? Good luck with your WIP, Ms. Lucy!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for tweeting this post because it allowed me to find this great blog. Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this article. And all the comments. Especially love that picture of you & The Puppy. Your look says "I don't know where I am & I'm not sure how I got here." The dog's says "Don't worry. I have her back."

    ReplyDelete