Monday, May 21, 2012

Are you ready for summer?
by Brenda Janowitz


Summer reading. Is there anything better than summer reading? It conjures up images of sitting poolside in some exotic locale with a pina colada in one hand, steamy page turner in another. Or maybe that's just me?!

With two small children at my side, my summer will be devoid of pina coladas, but full of reading. (Hey, they've gotta nap at *some*point, don't they?!) 

I can't wait for Emily Giffin's latest, WHERE WE BELONG. I don't even know what it's about-- just knowing that Emily wrote it is enough for me! I never met an Emily Giffin novel that I didn't read in 24 hours, and I know that this one will be no exception.

Jennifer Weiner also has a new book coming out: THE NEXT BEST THING. Jen recently had a stint as a television writer out in Hollywood, and this new novel is based in that same crazy world. Need I say more?  I'm currently reading (and loving) her book, BEST FRIENDS FOREVER, and it reminds me how she just proves over and over again why she's a New York Times bestseller. And one of the most talked about women's fiction writers out there.

I also can't wait for JANE AUSTEN MARRIAGE MANUAL by Kim Izzo to come out. Okay, I'm cheating a bit, since I was asked to blurb this one. But here's what I said about it: 

"You don't have to love Jane Austen to fall in love with The Jane Austen Marriage Manual! A modern take on the age old question: should we marry for love or money?"  


And finally, don't forget about GOSSIP by Beth Gutcheon. I totally devoured THE NEW GIRLS, so I'm excited for her latest.




What are YOU looking forward to reading this summer? And more importantly, will there be pina coladas involved?



I’m the author of SCOT ON THE ROCKS and JACK WITH A TWIST. My third novel, RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE, will be published by St. Martin's in 2013. My work’s also appeared in the New York Post and Publisher’s Weekly. You can find me at brendajanowitz.com or on Twitter at @BrendaJanowitz.

13 comments:

  1. Great list! The one you blurbed in particular looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading round-ups. And I agree with Lauren. The Jane Austen Marriage Manual sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bring on the umbrella drinks, the pool and the juicy reads. Nothing says summer like getting lost in somebody else's crazy life. Great post, Brenda... I also love Emily Giffin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Emily Giffin! And CAN'T WAIT to crack open a book while lounging at the pool... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read the Family Fang. I also really want quiet time to read this summer. Nothing is better.
    Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda, The Jane Austen Marriage Manual is one I definitely need to add to my TBR list! This summer I've got novels by several friends to look forward to and, for me, that's the best reading ;).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, I just read Beth Gutcheon's MORE THAN YOU KNOW--very good. I'll have to pick up GOSSIP.

    Love the list since I'm stocking up on books for when I'm laid up for three weeks in July following foot/ankle surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the book recs! always looking for good reading, especially with summer almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Lauren! The one I blurbed WAS good!!

    Karin, I love reading round-ups, too! Though, they always tend to make my wallet much, much lighter.

    Saralee, are you going to arrange for a pool and umbrella drinks for us? If so, I am IN!!

    Sandra, I love Emily, too! Isn't her stuff just the best?!

    Ariella, good point! I forgot to say that I also want the quiet time to read.

    Marilyn, yes! You need to add that one to your list! You won't be disappointed.

    Judy, surgery: ouch!! But lots of uninterrupted time to read: yippee!!

    Jenny, my pleasure to recommend!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great choices, Brenda! I LOVE Emily Giffin!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once again, my TBR stack increases as my debit card decreases. This was my last Monday of the school year until August. Let the reading begin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still plowing through the Game of Thrones books...I can't even believe how addicted I've become!

    Will def. be picking up EG's new one. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laura, me too! Me too!!

    Christa, yes! These roundups are so very bad for my wallet.

    Jess, okay, I think you may have just gotten me addicted to something new. Have to check out Game of Thrones. Have heard so much about them!

    ReplyDelete