Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Dieting and Writing Through the Holidays




In just a couple of days we’ll be entering the most wonderful time of the year. Or as I like to call it, the most stressful time of the year. Don’t get me wrong, I love the holidays. I love getting together with friends and family (yes, even my mother-in-law). Love eating lots of good food. I love the lights, the music, the decorations, and especially the renewed spirit of giving that infects so many people between Thanksgiving and Christmas.And okay, I confess, I also love the Charlie Brown Christmas special and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (never too old for that!)

What I don’t like is the stress. The stress of trying to do too much (and spend too much!) and the added pounds and the disruption of routine. In particular, my writing routine. I’m not a NaNoWriMo person. I’ve tried crash writing (just like I’ve tried crash dieting) and it doesn’t work for me. Routine is what works for me. And lists. I love making lists. So I decided to write down a list of tips for writing through the holidays, and I stumbled across an article titled How to Stick to your Diet during the Holidays (WikiHow). Amazingly, eating healthy and effective writing habits have a lot in common. I took 5 of the best tips and tweaked them up (Girlfriends Book Club style).

  1. Focus on People, not the food.  Focus on the big picture, not word counts. While word counts are important, sometimes it’s just as important to make progress by figuring out what happens during a scene or what happens next in your story. Some of my most productive writing days have occurred when I’ve done negative word counts. In other words, when I’ve figured out that a scene wasn’t working and decided to cut it out. Usually, this propels me to something important in the story and gets my creative juices flowing.
  2. Make the Occasional Party the exception to your diet, not the rule. While it’s okay to skip a day of writing (because let’s face it, we all have days we just want to have fun), try not to skip more than 2 days in a row. Writing inspires more writing. Like exercise, it’s hard to get back in the routine if you’ve let too much time pass. So don’t let too much time pass.
  3. Choose wisely from foods available during holiday functions. In other words, eat more shrimp, less chocolate. Same goes with writing. If you’re on deadline during the holidays (which I am!) your writing has to sometimes come first. It’s a job, not a hobby. Sometimes we just have to say no to holiday fun. Pick what’s really important and skip events that you won’t be missed from.
  4. Eat Slowly and Mindfully. Savor your writing time. Protect it. Let your family know your writing routine and what you need to get accomplished so that they’ll help you, not sabotage you during the holidays.
  5. Reward Yourself. In the end, remember that life is all about balance. Set realistic goals and then take time out for what’s important in life. Family, friends, and love.
 
Happy Thanksgiving (and Happy Writing!) 

Maria Geraci writes fun, romantic women's fiction for Berkley, Penguin USA.  Her latest release, A GIRL LIKE YOU, is available online and at bookstores everywhere. Please visit her website at www.mariageraci.com.

10 comments:

  1. What a clever post, Maria! And great advice. Wonderful post!!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!! (Even your mother-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, Maria! Is this ever applicable to my little world right now ;). Thanks for the fun tips on both writing and dieting -- I appreciate them!! And a very Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, You are SO brilliant... and just in time. Today was day 2 of 0 writing b/c time and holiday food were working against me! I am marching the lap top upstairs and doing some evening writing. I used to be a faithful night writer, but not as much in recent years. This may be the perfect time of year to reinstate that rule!! Thanks for the pep talk!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips!
    I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my hobby to write an essay on the person i admire the most ofcourse. I really want to write about that person and it makes me feel happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Students are focusing on ESL test to improve their writing skills. They usually ask for help that how to write an essay for an esl test so i will suggest them online services which will definiteness gonna help them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very few number of people write on the holiday. I do not prefer writing on the holidays but sometimes I had to write on these days. visit the website to know more how to get quality writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really handful of amount of people compose around the getaway. I really do not necessarily favor creating around the holiday seasons yet at times I needed to publish about today. summarization online service to learn a lot more getting top quality creating companies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am very glad to check this kind of info. I respect the most of course. I truly need to expound on that individual and it fulfills me feel. Now you can get real help here for that student who are searching new ideas.

    ReplyDelete