Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I Love the 80s by Megan Crane


A while back, while procrastinating, I ended up watching a bunch of 80s videos on YouTube.

It was so much fun. I still know all the words to “Club Tropicana” and “Wham! Rap.” I still get chills when “Save A Prayer” starts playing. How could you not? I wallowed in my long-dormant crushes on singers like Simon LeBon, Sting (circa Dream of the Blue Turtles), and George Michael (well, who knew he was on the Other Team?  I sure didn’t.)

Remember "Save A Prayer?" Is there a better song?  I'd argue there really isn't...



And I thought, what if one of them had died way back in the day, at the height of their glory? And what if one of the teenage girls who were So In Love With Them They Owned The Six Foot Poster and All the B-Sides grew up still loving them that much? And what if one fine night, that obsessed fan girl (now, say, in her 30s) found herself transported through time to New York in 1987 and got to meet this man of her dreams–who only she knew was destined to die horribly in just over a month?  How would she save him–could she save him–from his fate?

So, obviously, I had to write that book.  

I Love the 80s is the first romance I ever wrote, and I'd love it even if it didn't involve a little bit of time travel and an impassioned defense of Bananarama's "Cruel Summer."  And it’s finally available as an e-book in the US!



Live in the now, they say, but for Jenna Jenkins, the now sucks. 

Her fiancĂ© dumped her, and she's lacking the drive that might lead to a promotion at the eighties-themed cable station where she works. The only thing keeping her sane is her obsession with a brooding rock star, and an era, that died twenty-odd years ago. 

But then lightning strikes—literally—and sends her back to the year and the man she’s loved her entire life. 

Jenna has no choice but to take action to save Tommy Seer, lead singer of The Wild Boys, from the tragic accident that only she knows will claim his life. But the real Tommy Seer is very different from the one who's spent all this time starring in her favorite fantasies. As Jenna falls deeper into Tommy’s world--under his spell all over again, only this time without the schoolgirl crush--she realizes that his death was no accident. 

Can she find a killer, prevent a murder, and save the man she loves without everyone thinking she’s crazy? And who thought shoulder pads were a good idea, anyway?


I hope you will.


Megan Crane is the author of about thirty novels, none of which have soundtracks as awesome as the one she compiled for I Love the 80s.  Because nothing beats the music she grew up with and loved passionately when she was twelve years old, and nothing ever will.  She also teaches writing in places like UCLA Extension's Writers' Program. You can find out more about her at www.megancrane.com or www.caitlincrews.com.








3 comments:

  1. I love the 80s! I love Bananarama! I'm off to buy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want the book AND the soundtrack! I miss the banana clips I used to put my hair up with! Big shoulder jackets and Guess jeans...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding this one to my "to buy" list, which is growing shorter than the "bought" list...Ah, the 80s...from 1980-1985, I had four kids (not all at once, well, except for the twins!).

    ReplyDelete