Sunday, January 20, 2013

Writing Wishes Come True



Writing during the holidays is a test of endurance—to be attempted only by diehards and those on deadline. This year, I fell into the latter category. Novel two was due in my editor’s inbox bright and early on Monday January 7th. I was not panicking. I was not panicking. I was not panicking.

However, since every heroine needs a number of obstacles between her and her goal, here’s my list: I was the sickest I’d been since my son’s preschool days; the Jewish side of the family was coming for an English-Christmas-the-works; my son was turning eighteen, and a teenage invasion, I mean party, loomed; I hadn’t cleaned my house in a very, very long time; and our huge Christmas tree was still undecorated. (I’d strung the lights mid-fever, and our son, bless him, had attempted to fix them. It wasn’t pretty.)

When I’m overwhelmed, I tend to break life into daily goals and ignore the big picture. Drives my husband crazy, but narrowing my focus always works for me. While I wrestled the manuscript to a point where I could put it aside for five days, he valiantly morphed into Mr. Mom. He even organized the birthday cake, bought and distributed teacher gifts, and ensured we had the hard-to-find 15oz can of chestnut puree I needed for the stuffing.

Once the antibiotics kicked in, I became Molly Maids on steroids and baked at a level that would have impressed the goddess of English cooking, Delia Smith. I even took two days off to be sociable. Then I crawled upstairs to my office, closed the door, and stayed there for ten days. I emerged only to eat, sleep, and do laundry. On New Year’s Eve, I worked fifteen hours straight.

Friends left me alone or muttered, “Oh, you poor thing, how rotten having to work so hard over the holidays.” But during those ten days, something magical happened. Everything stripped down to me, my story, and my characters.

The Unfinished Garden, my debut novel, will always be my first baby, especially since it’s a story about my favorite topic—the courage it takes to fight OCD / obsessive-compulsive disorder. (I’m the proud mother of a brilliant obsessive-compulsive.) Novel two, however, has worked itself under my skin and into my heart. Even though it deals with dementia, depression, and the death of a child, it’s a hopeful story that circles a theme I love: finding light in darkness. It’s an emotional read, and to mine the psychology of my characters, I need to be fully present when I write their voices. For those ten days, I was.  

Within a week, my revision letter came back from my editor, and I was eager to dive back in. I was energized. Writing to deadline over the holidays had turned out to be the Christmas gift of my dreams.



Barbara Claypole White is the author of The Unfinished Garden, a love story about grief, OCD, and dirt. Originally from England, she lives in the North Carolina Forest with her family and a ridiculously large woodland garden. Temporarily unnamed novel two has a publication date of January 2014.

24 comments:

  1. What a holiday break! It seems like those 10 days were really amazing. Love it when you can get into the groove and just create. Makes those weeks when the flow just doesn't come a little more bearable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is inspirational. Out of the darkness, you found a way to create.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Priscille. I've learned so much about my writing process this year. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow! I never thought in terms of the *author* being the one with obstacles to overcome. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I've had quite a few obstacles to overcome while writing this novel. It's been… a journey!

      Delete
  4. Great post, Barbara. Congratulations on turning stress into story--love it. I'm off now to Google chestnut puree and find out what I've been missing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you have such unwavering focus. Novel two sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara,
    How amazing you are! I'm glad that, despite all the stress of this deadline + the holidays, you managed to find the gift at the center of it. And I'm sure that new book will be as fabulous as your first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I think it's the British war mentality that gets me through!

      Delete
  7. It is good to know that your writing wishes come true within sort period of time. There has so many writers who wait for so many time to get the proper responds from reader. read more and it'll help you to know more about the academic papers writing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you know when a writers wish come true? It is when their first book has been published and he get so many positive feedback from readers. visit the website to know more how to get quality writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good experience you share with us and i hope every people are also like your achievement in here. There are so many students are can learn from you about more details paraphrase helper job now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you want to make your wishes true, then you can see this whole article. With the help of Barbara Claypole you can see the better service here for your wishes. You can summarize paper for the information of the people who are visiting here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations for your writing wishes come true. This is absolutely excellent writing you have provided about writing wishes. This information and story should make inspiration for writers. Please visit on this site to get our press release writing service. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Barbara Claypole, I also a writer. I am working for biography. I read your writing article http://www.biographywritingservices.com/creating-a-personal-website/ . you need to change some writing style. if you want reply me I wanna share my idea with you,.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Every writers wanted to get known and publish more books and it seems like some of the wishes are going to be true now. click here that will give you a clear idea about the writing services.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every writer had a wish about their writing side and they always wanted to have much more positive feedback on their writing. http://www.manualwriting.net/ to find out more helpful tips on writing.

    ReplyDelete